cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tempered Glass Screen Protector. ~ My Review.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Tempered Glass Screen Protector Review

image.jpeg.

After viewing one of these glass screen protectors on my colleagues mobile phone and seeing how well it integrated onto the iPhone screen and that it felt just like the original screen I made up my mind to acquire one.

I ordered the shield from one of the famous auction sites for £1.70. Other options that are available can cost up from £15 plus.

The shield arrived very quickly so I fitted it straightaway and have been using it for a few months now.

I opted to use the 'hinge method' to fit the glass shield which for me has always meant the shields I have fitted have been straight and inline. Basically you use cello-tape on the side of the shield onto the phone, which creates a hinge.

On pressing in the middle of the shield you can actually see the silicone adhesive take hold. No bubbles at all.The key is to ensure the phone screen is spotlessly clean and free of specs of dust.

Some advocate going into the bathroom and running the shower , turning it off , wait and the steam catches the dust particles in the air and traps them onto the ground thus stopping dust particles adhering to the phone screen.

TouchScreen.

I have not come across any loss at all in sensitivity and is as a smoother experience as using the main screen. Maybe this could be down to the oleophobic coating wearing off the iPhone display with wear and tear, and now feels better using the fresh coating on the tempered glass screen protector. Finger prints seem to be less apparent too.

The thickness is 0.4mm so does not add anything major to the iPhone in thickness or weight. The surface has a hardness of 8-9H which is 3 times stronger than regular PET film. Sharp objects such as knives and keys are reported to not scratch the surface. Time will tell on how it will stand up to scratches but I won't be using a knife on it ,or keep my keys in the same pocket as my phone.

My iPhone original case fitted without issue.

The Good.

Hopefully it will save my iPhone screen if an accidental drop occurs. Will keep my screen free of scratches for when I sell it on. If smashed it splinters into non sharp bits. My original iPhone case fits with the shield fitted. Cheap as chips.

The Not So Good.

Adds a little extra thickness but not really noticeable.

One time fit so be careful on fitting the shield.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

17 REPLIES 17

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

Thanks for this information. I've decided I need a new approach to screen protection on my main phone, and I think I'll give this a whirl. 

@bandofbrothers1 wrote:

Some advocate going into the bathroom and running the shower , turning it off, wait and the steam catches the dust particles in the air and traps them onto the ground thus stopping dust particles adhering to the phone screen.

I've seen a hilarious "how to apply our product" video clip for a film screen protector, which involved balancing your phone over a bowl of steaming water in order to achieve a dust-free result.

Well, it might (or might not) achieve a beautifully-applied screen protector, but, unless the phone is definitely 100% waterproof, any approach that involves a bathroom full of steam is likely to trigger the moisture sensors inside the phone, which could land you in a lot of trouble later on if you need a repair.

So I'll try the tempered glass screen protector, and I'll be as careful as possible to avoid specs of dust, but I think I'll manage without the steam.

BandOfBrothers

I hope your experience goes well.

Regarding the shower / steam method.

Once the shower has made steam in the room I read a person is then to wait a good while as the steam clears fully which takes the dust particles out of the air into lower levels of the room.

I'm still using the one I chose a good few months ago on my iPhone 6 Plus. Fir the very low price I paid I'm very happy with it

Current Phone  >

I always thought that 'oleophobic' was being afraid of 'oles'. :smileywink:

I have used a number of these screen protectors, all described with the same 'specs' on phones and tablets, they are very good and perform as has been noted in this topic, but, one thing that they are not is glass, they are in fact plastic but would recommend them and they are a much better option than the normal film screen protectors.

BandOfBrothers

@froggerty wrote:

I always thought that 'oleophobic' was being afraid of 'oles'. :smileywink:

I have used a number of these screen protectors, all described with the same 'specs' on phones and tablets, they are very good and perform as has been noted in this topic, but, one thing that they ,are not is glass they are in fact plastic but would recommend them and they are a much better option than the normal film screen protectors.

Thank you for your post.

So the part I've highlighted caught my eye because they are described as glass.

I've googled around and found various reviews. Some excerpts are "After a little digging and researching, I found out it is made by heating the glass and then cooling it very quickly. This type of glass breaks differently than normal glass, creating more rounded edges of glass pieces instead of jagged shards that regular glass creates. A tempered glass protector is a multi-layered screen protector. It has a bottom layer of absorbent silicon, PET film and an optically clear adhesive tempered glass and oleophobic coating in that order. Tempered glass is up to five times stronger than normal glass."

And "Tempered glass is made by subjecting glass to thermal treatment or by treating it with hydrofluoric acid. This kind of treatment increases the compressive tensile on the surface of the glass making the surface toughened. This makes tempered glass resistant to heat and pressure applied on the surface. Unlike normal glass which breaks and separates the pieces apart, when tempered glass breaks, it shatters into very smaller pieces, which may still be intact or split depending on the surface coating."

Current Phone  >

Sorry to dissapoint anyone but these protectors are not glass, no-one in the World can produce glass that thin, I know technology has moved on a fair bit but if glass that thin could be made and 'tempered' it would be very brittle and if it did break it would shatter into very sharp shards, especially at the point of impact, and could cause serious injury, it would not comply with any safetey standards, the way you can determine if something is either glass or plastic is to tap it with your finger nail, if it makes a 'tink tink' sound it's glass, if it makes a dull 'dud dud' sound it's plastic, It's like those 'leather' phone cases you see listed, there's about as much leather in them as there is in a potato skin!

kids
@froggerty. Not so, you should check out www.ivyskin.com, they make GLASS screen protectors and I have used them for years. They are not cheap but they are GLASS and there is no loss of touch sensitivity.

froggerty
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The real test would to be to purchase a test sample of the ones available and deliberateley break them, that would tell you what is and what is not.

kids
No need to purchase a test sample, I have used the Ivyskin glass protectors for 4 years and smashed two, I have worked with glass for more than 20 years and I can assure you they are glass.

If you do decide to purchase one to test beware of the Customs levy which is more than one screen costs!

63johnw
I can confirm I did purchase one and accidentally damaged it during the application process and it most definitely was glass.