main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

FTP Blocked?? Surely not?!?!?!

4: Newbie

Please for the love of God tell me VF don't block all incoming connections / port 21 / FTP

This really is the icing on a very ##~## cake.

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
13: Advanced Member

Try googling for "NAT FTP" to learn more about your problem.  Using SFTP appears to be one solution, another would be to use a VPN.  I have also read that there are routers that allow an FTP connection to be established, but I don't know which ones.  

View more options

Thanks.  I've been in the datacomms business since 2000, so I know what I'm talking about.   Port 21 is blocked on a network level.

This is absolutely ridiculous.  Kist one issue after another.  I'm getting out while I'm still in my cooling off period.

View more options

Assuming you are using a VF router - I never got that far - as it looks like VF wont port my number - is there a firewall in the router that blocks port 21 - it would be strange to block otherwise as they are just piggybackinhg on Openrerqach, other franchisees don't block it.

Strange, but you know what you're talking about.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

I can ftp to my Zyxel router, so no Vodafone network problem.  FTP uses two ports., 20 and 21.

View more options

I'm using a Draytek.  Port 21 is forwarded correctly.  Everything is set up correctly.

I found it hard to believe at first myself, but there it is.

View more options
2: Seeker

My Vodafone broadband service went live today, I was having teething problems with the FTP server on my PC and this is the thread Google pointed me to. The opening post was worrying to say the least. However, I can confirm to anybody else reading this in future that my FTP service (pure-ftpd, port 21 on Ubuntu 18.04) is now running nicely via the new Vodafone router I got a couple of days ago, I'm able to connect to FTP from external sources and everything is fine and dandy.

Go into router settings and enable Expert mode (top of the page). Go to Internet > Port Management and add a new item under Port Mapping (AKA Port Forwarding). There is a standard FTP option which selects your local IP and port 21. You can leave the router firewall on.

Bottom line: Vodafone broadband will not block your FTP (or any other) service, so don't be put off from signing up. I am happy with my new ISP so far.

View more options
9: Established

Yer - not sure waht was happening with the OP, but no, FTP is not blocked at a network level. It works fine with the supplied Vodafone router and also other brands, Draytek for example.

Obviously you've got to allow it into your network, so firewall adjustments, but it isn't being blocked anywhere upstream.

View more options