Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Just won a prize - or not?

MickJ
4: Newbie

Page I was on disappeared and replaced with opportunity to win a prize, see jpeg.

Is this a problem, common, and who is it from ?

came from :  [Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic please see Community Guidelines]

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Shows to me as using an unsupported protocol @MickJ 

Were you on the official Vodafone pages ?

Please be wary of unrecognised links as these can lead to unwanted subscriptions or worse.

Clear your browsers cache and cookies is my advice.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Without digging deep it's hard to tell how big a problem it is!

These links are sometimes encoded in otherwise normal-looking web pages, or even just the ads that are supplied by 3rd parties.  Or they can be much more pernicious and could indicate a problem on your machine!

If you don't normally see such ads then at the very least run anti-virus on your machine, even if it's just the built-in Microsoft version (it's not that bad).

*Fun fact, one of the most common ways users get "trojan" programs installed on their machines is by following pop up web pages that tell them their machine is infected (when it isn't), which then directs you to a legitimate-looking page that REALLY does install dodgy software disguised as Anti-Virus!

Longer-term solution:  Nothing is ever 100% safe, but you can change your DNS servers to Quad9 and use a filtered service - just be aware that you are now putting your search history through another 3rd party!  For those not using the Vodafone routers, you can also use programs such as Pi-Hole or Diversion (there are others too) depending on what devices you have available!  *Local testing suggests that Pi-Hole and Diversion do not work on the VOX2.5 HHG2500, and other users have had issues with the VOX3 THG3000 too.

Summary:  Don't get too paranoid, but do check!

Thank you all for you reply's.   I forget what site I was on, nothing unusual.  The offer page just took it over, and looked like a Vodafone page.  Seems I had won an iphone !!!!!!!  ain't I a lucky lad.   To good to be true and window closed.  Good advice will clear cookies and run some virus software.

Did find this on MSE from 2014 so still around !!

Many thanks again   Mick

BandOfBrothers

Unfortunately when they look too good to be true they usually are @MickJ 

Those types of ' you've won an iPhone etc ' are pretty common and attached to subscriptions and signing up to things  / giving personal information.

My advice = steer clear.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Page just popped up while browsing, I closed browser -  certainly looks like a vodafone page !!

rolandrat
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

These page takeovers have been happening a lot recently, all seem to be from the ".xyz" domain, which I now actively block (I use a Draytek), they will get your ISP from your IP address and amend the page accordingly, so to appears convincing. 

Im guessing they are embedded in the adverts or something.

Thanks @rolandrat,  it is .xyz and I will have to find a way to block it.  I have only been with Vodafone broadband this year and only had two of these 'prizes'.

Seemed a coincidence but possibly random.

I hate to say it, and dont judge me, but the Daily Mails' website (I only read the comments sections, honest) is dreadful for these popups, I have two ISP's at present using the Draytek session based load balancing and it would pop up these 'prizes' depending on which ISP the sessions are going via. Anyway the URL content filter on the Draytek sorts them out now.

Hi

The Brave Browser is quite clean, and maybe a lot better for you.