Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

May be possible to restore WiFi channel selection

Cynric
16: Advanced member

I'm going out on a bit of a limb here and my experiment is weakened by not being on Voda any longer. So firstly if someone feels like tinkering and seeing if they can repeat this it could be fun.

Current firmware version 19.2.0307-3261013

The THG3000 has been attached to my LAN downstream of a Zyxel router from my new ISP. When it boots it is a bit confused and I have to tell it where the gateway, dns and dhcp are located and then the PC connected to the THG3000 can see the world. The interesting thing is that the WiFi settings (see attached files) are now showing all the hidden settings. I suspect that because it cannot see the "mothership" it cannot get the latest screen code.

Now this is where I become stuck because I cannot reconnect the THG3000 to VF to see if it then decides to over-write the locally running code or if that only happens at boot/start-up. IF it doesn't over-write it may at least be a way to re-connect to devices for a time. Meanwhile I'll see if I can get Wireshark to sniff out what the router looks for when it boots, but this may take time. Anyway the weather forecast is typical for a bank holiday, so what else can I do with my time? 🤣

11 REPLIES 11

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

I can get this far....

clint_flick_0-1620036047602.png

Jayach

I don't think it will work for anyone connected to Vodafone, because (I believe) they use TR-069 Protocol (CWMP - customer-premises WAN management protocol) to control the router. If it is on another ISP they won't be able to connect to it.

I found the channel change options returned after playing around with different routers, but they quickly went away again.

Cynric

I didn't know about the TR-069 Protocol, so thanks for pointing that out. It wouldn't be such a surprise to learn that a config file is pulled-up via that protocol and the config informs the router's screen settings.

However, if you were just using the THG3000 as an AP, then all the settings are visible. It may yet not end-up being a paperweight or doorstop.

Jayach

Following on from @Cynric's findings, as I am still on Vodafone, I thought I would try and see how long the channel change options would  be available before Vodafone removed them.

You can see my original comments here:

Re: WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE - Page 6 - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

Edit: Posted here to save you looking.

@Jayach wrote:

I recently factory reset my THG3000, which brought back the WiFi channel change options.

It's been running for 3 days and they are still there.

If anyone else wants to try it I would suggest disconnecting the router from the line and factory resetting it via the firmware rather than with the button. (I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it seems to)

Check on the router to see if they have returned and then plug it back into the line.

I accept no responsibility if you break your router.

Jayach

So after running  running for 8days,17hours the channel change options were still there so I restarted the router via the firmware. The options stayed and were still there a day later so I reset the router to factory defaults via the firmware and whilst it was connected online.

That was this morning and they are still there, so nothing I can do is triggering them to be taken away.

Perhaps Vodafone have realised the error of their ways, and are no longer removing the option. (No I don't really think so either)

If anyone else would like to try to confirm my findings, that would be good, but obviously don't do anything if you think it will upset your line.

Jayach

The router had been up for 14 days (apart from my reboot/factory reset) and the channel change options were still there. This router has firmware 19.2.0307-3261013.

So I thought i would try my other router (firmware 19.2.0307-3261019).

Put it on and allowed it to fully connect and there were no channel change options. So disconnected it from the line and factory reset it. The channel change options were there. Reconnected to the line and although it seemed to connect fully (internet led steady white) it then reconnected a second time and when I checked the channel change options were gone.

My assumption is that during the second reconnect it received configuration settings via TR-069 and that turned them off.

So no conclusive results, but it is interesting that the router that has 19.2.0307-3261019 firmware was reset and I believe that is the firmware used on PRO.

Perhaps I'll try again with the other router in a couple of weeks. Fortunately I still have my 79/20 connection so I haven't upset DLM.

gipjon

I did wonder about your DLM lol

I am also wondered about how you swapped from one Vodafone router to the other. I'm surprised that Vodafone has not unprovisioned the second router. 

or maybe that's why the first router did not update back to no channel opinions. 

I'm not sure if Vodafone systems send your username and password to the router or it works by using the serial number on of the router as a username/password etc etc

Jayach

@gipjon wrote:

I am also wondered about how you swapped from one Vodafone router to the other. I'm surprised that Vodafone has not unprovisioned the second router. 

or maybe that's why the first router did not update back to no channel opinions. 

The router that didn't update is the one they sent me when I was having my problems, but they were unable to provision it at the time. 3 different agents tried over a few days and after the last one couldn't get it to work I said "I'm going to put the original one back on, do you want to wait and see if it works".

So we tried it and yes it worked and I said "I thought all the changes you have been making would have stopped it working". He replied, "So did I".

I really only tried it again a couple of months later to see exactly what the sequence of LEDs would be on an unprovisioned router to answer a question on here. I was most surprised when it worked. I've now swapped them around a few times.

@gipjon wrote:

maybe that's why the first router did not update back to no channel opinions. 

You may be right, I hadn't thought about that

I think DLM is a lot less sensitive on VDSL to what it was on ADSL.

gipjon

don't know if this will help 

but I think the cwmp acs is using the port number is 60300 

and i guess you will know what these are 

https://vfcc.publicacs.vodafone.co.uk/firmware/UK-CC/VOX3v_CLOSED_19.2.0307.3261013.rbi

https://vfcc.bootstrapacs.vodafone.co.uk/cwmpWeb/WGCPEMgt

https://vfcc.publicacs.vodafone.co.uk/cwmpWeb/CPEMgt

autoconfig at broadband.vodafone.co.uk

not sure what would happen if you added the website address to the block list in the contents control