Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem accessing websites, Vodafone inserting own security certificate

britbat
2: Seeker

vodafone.png

Getting this error when trying to access imgur.com, an image sharing website. imgur.com is outright blocked everywhere, while occasionally links such as i.imgur will allow me to access the website.

Imgur is an exception in content controls on both my browser and broadband content settings. From what I've heard this error is Vodafone attempting to read my traffic even though it should be outside their content controls, and Chrome is correctly picking up that Vodafone's certificate doesn't match Imgur.

I'm getting errors with other sites such as nexusmods.com's login server as well, even though they are also on the 'allowed' list. All of these problems appeared after switching to Vodafone from Sky, which had less obstructive content controls that didn't attempt to intercept traffic unrelated to content control.

vodafone2.png

Login server is definitely not down, I have a friend on another ISP who's accessing the website with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

britbat

Content controls turned completely off..Content controls turned completely off..

except it appears that content controls are still on.except it appears that content controls are still on.

Just turned content control completely off and content control is still attempting to intercept my traffic. Content control is still looking at my traffic even though it's disabled.

I'd appreciate if someone could help with this annoying error, which shouldn't be happening from content control considering that Chrome is registering this as a man-in-the-middle attack.

I'll be grateful for any assistance in resolving this.

I noticed this too. When following links from reddit to imgur im getting the same error message and I also have content control turned off.

Just thought I'd let you know I've solved it on mine by changing the default DNS server on the router to Google's DNS that seems to bypass vodafone content blocker.

Thanks, Andrew, that's worked for getting to Imgur just in my browser.

Problem with Content Control is still happening with the Nexus Mods server, though. Vodafone should stop trying to apply their filter to my traffic if I've disabled it.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

As we'll need access to your account to help you further @britbat, please follow the instructions in this private message and one of our Broadband team will be in touch.

Soooo pleased that I found this thread. Only wish I'd thought of this earlier!

I have been thinking for years now, that the internet has suddenly become hopelessly out of date - so many sites have hundreds of blank pages, where they should be showing embedded pictures - which I *now* understand are from sites that suffer from the problem outlined above.

I changed to Vodafone from Sky a long time ago, but never made the link with that causing the widespread issues - never even crossed my mind that an ISP would do anything other than faithfully serve content that we request from the web! 

...and how many years has this been a problem now - shocking! :Socked_Face: :Socked_Face:

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@G_Ninja wrote:

never even crossed my mind that an ISP would do anything other than faithfully serve content that we request from the web! 

Personally I totally agree with you, but so many people, especially those with vulnerable age children, seem to think their ISP should "police" the web for them.