Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Texecon Alarm Wifi Offlline

SD_Notts
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My Texecon Alarm connects to my router via WIFI and then I can access remotely to set/reset etc. It's been on Virgin Media for a year and worked fine - no issues or drop outs. When swapping to Vodafone BB I changed the router Vodafone WIFI so that it had the same Name and pw settings as the old Virgin box and it worked fine for around 24 Hours, then the WIFI dropped and it stayed offline - you can see the alarm trying to continuously connect (my phone signal senses a strong wifi signal near the alarm panel so shouldn't be  signal strength),.

The only way I have managed to get the panel back online is to reset the Voda router to factory defaults, to then change its name/pw etc to what the Virgin ones were. Again, it stays online for up to 24 hours then drops and will not come back online. I go round this loop, trying different settings (such as DNS 1.1.1.1 &b 8.8.8.8 , enabling WPA and WPS

It's as if the router has blacklisted the Texecon alarm for some reason from connecting to WIFI ??

Any ideas why this may be happening ?

17 REPLIES 17

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @SD_Notts, thanks for reaching out to us about this. So we can take a look into what's causing the issues between your alarm and our broadband service, please reach out to our tech team by calling 0333 304 0191, or via an online chat.

I did and for info they said that I need to wait up to 48 Hours as Static IP has not been enabled yet and it needs to be. We'll see if this fixes it.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @SD_Notts, a static IP should solve the issue. Did the team explain what steps you need to take once the static IP's been enabled?

No they didn't - do you have any instructions?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

You might not to do anything @SD_Notts. If your alarm stays connected after the static IP is in place, it will remain connected. If not, you made to follow the reconnection steps for the alarm.

Can I tell in the Router settings when Static IP has been implemented by your engineers? 

Also, if I performed a factory reset or changed some settings on the router would Static IP still be enabled (ie is it picking up this setting from the network?)

thanks

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Users with other alarms have reported here that when they've changed broadband providers the LAN subnet has changed, and it's prevented their alarms from working.  If the alarms aren't currently using the router DHCP, it may be possible to change the subnet on the Vodafone equipment to mimic that of the old equipment.

So I have a static IP working now for at least 2-3 weeks. Generally the Texecom alarm has stayed connected for days at a time, but a couple of times it has still gone offline and not reconnected to wifi. To solve this I have had to reboot router/hub and it has come back online - is there a setting that still needs to be made to stop these alarm system drop outs?

Also, as I have static IP, I thought I would be able to logon onto the router remotely (that way I can always reboot the hub remotely if the alarm goes offline). However, I just get a blank screen when I put the IP address in, is there a hub setting to allow remote access?

thanks

CrimsonLiar

Is there any clue in the router logs as to why the connection is dropping?  I guess one of the other things that some of us will have seen is that rather than storing the password, the device just stores the "hash" of the password that it uses.  Sometimes it may just be enough to go through the process of changing the WiFi password - only changing it to what it already was!

As far as remote access:  Most alarms being focused on security have the alarm just send the smallest amount of data possible every few seconds to the server to keep a connection open, then when you need to access the alarm, the server tells the alarm, and the alarm initiates a secure connection to your remote device - so there's no need for a security device to poke holes in your security.

I guess the question is:  How much of a pain would it be to set back up from scratch?