Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Airline and Maritime costs - beware!

evanvrs
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

hi - users should be aware there is now a service called Airline and Maritime on international flights. While in the air, probably while you are sleeping, unless you disable Roaming, and if you have International package on your plan, you will get charged £39 per day for 25Meg of data. Your phone will chew through that data automatically as most people have push settings. 

In my case I was asleep and blew through 39 pounds plus out-of-plan charges of another 5 pounds per MEG!.

So be warned, it is honestly a scam - they should specifically tell you about it beforehand. Everyone knows about roaming but no-one knows about this, so sometimes you only turn off roaming when coming in to land.

I complained and was given a 50% goodwill refund, so make sure you do that too.

What a scam, it is like data charges in the old days...so sharing it here because it is annoying behaviour by Vodafone who no doubt are charging thousands of people without them even knowing it.

Evanvrs

6 REPLIES 6

Tal

Hi @evanvrs . With the Airline roaming charges, many international flights offer them and most are automatic, but the customer do get a notification to let them know that the device has connected and charges will apply.

When your Airplane Mode is switched on and automatically connect to the inflight network. There’s no onboard registration and you’re billed by your home mobile operator for any usage automatically.

@Tal wrote:

With the Airline roaming charges, many international flights offer them and most are automatic, but the customer do get a notification to let them know that the device has connected and charges will apply.

What a horrid copy & paste job without even an attempt to tidy up the formatting!

Some operators do prevent data roaming unless a specific bundle is in-place first - user action is required to purchase one, before mobile data will work.

@japitts I assure you this is not a copy and paste response, just breaking down how the Airline roaming charges work. We do have the spend manager options for customers which they can set it on £0 to avoid any charges or the amount they wish from £0 to £100 plus the travel spending limit as well which can be found on the online account and the App.

@Tal wrote:

@japittsI assure you this is not a copy and paste response,

Then howcome some parts of your post have different formatting to the rest? I expect images need to be manually approved, but I've highlighted what I was referring to, below..

japitts_0-1729869272221.png

Cynric
16: Advanced member

I agree with @japitts about operators. On Air Canada you cannot connect to the in-flight service unless you are either in Business or First, or you pay-up using your CC.

Cynric

Crikey @Tal that font is so small even with my glasses on I have had to zoom the browser!