cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Practicalities of talking 3 mobiles on holiday in USA?

Boomeruk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

At present our family (3 of us) each have a UK mobile with Vodafone on unlimited Max plans. Before coronavirus hit we were due to go to the USA in August. We have previously taken our mobiles abroad to the US but have arranged for local sim cards (AT&T normally) and used those instead of our UK sim cards. However this costs quite a bit (around $250 for the 3 of us for unlimited data / local call packages) so I'm considering just using our UK sim cards instead. However the practicalities are confusing me slightly.

When we use a local sim we each get a local number assigned, program each others number into our phones and away we go. If we were to use our UK sim cards then do we need to reprogram / adjust our current UK mobile numbers in our mobiles  (something like 011447xxxxxxxxx instead of it just being 07xxxxxxxxx) in order for us to be able to contact each other? And would that introduce a considerable lag into the phone calling as the call has to bounce between the US and the UK and back rather than just off the local cell tower if we were using a local sim card?

Any thoughts or experiences would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Boomeruk 

There is lot's of information in the following thread which may help you Travelling-abroad. Including costs etc.

Making phone calls should be seamless as long as the host network has no mast issues and roaming is enabled.

There is no need to re programme numbers.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandofBrothers

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that page on the vodafone support page and it says 

Calling and texting
Replace the first 0 with + and then the code of the country you’re calling. If you’re calling the UK, it’s +44 then the number. For example, 07774 477 000 would be +44 7774 477 000

So this would seem to suggest I do need to reprogram my wife or daughters number in my phone? But if they are physically in the US with me then I was wondering whether that still applied (because I'm calling a UK mobile but it's actually in the US at the time?

AnnS

Hi @Boomeruk 

It's just a case of making sure you have +44 for the contacts, but you will find messages automatically sent and received as +44.

You only use the US code when calling a US number, if you are calling your family, just use +44, you are still using and calling a UK mobile number only roaming on the US network.

Hi @AnnS

Ok great - thanks. Now I just need to Coronavirus to disappear.......😭

jeffkinn

Most phones have a feature that iPhones call international assist. This automatically adds the +44 prefix to UK numbers when calling from abroad. It isn't foolproof but works most of the time.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

@Boomeruk 

You're very welcome.  :Smiling:

Glad you've seen that page I linked to.

Most newer phones auto change the numbers to international to suite.

You can of course change them if you wish.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Boomeruk 

When you go abroad and roam on an overseas network, you will see an R at the top of the screen for roaming.  leave the data settings as they are, as you are using and calling a UK mobile network, the UK code is +44, when making a call to a UK number, you need to drop the first 0 (+447)  followed by the remaining digits, depending on your phone, you may find your phone automatically adds the +44 UK code.  If you are calling a US number use the US code

There is further information on the Global Roaming pages here: Vodafone Global Roaming 

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hey there, 

Unlimited Max is the package where you get 81 roaming destinations (inc. the USA) for free right? 

Assuming so then you're in for a treat roaming in the States (speaking from experience).

You'll find your phones bounce between T-Mobile and AT&T depending on best signal in the area (mine did) and I got full, fast 4G. 

As already suggested, I'd ensure all your numbers are saved in your phone book as +44 7xxx format rather than 07xxx. I always save my numbers that way as they work fine in the UK and it means not having to think about how to dial a number when overseas. Just dial from your phonebook as normal (albeit most new phones have the international assist function which means they spot it and add the country code for you). 

As for user experience, I'm not an expert on routing etc but can say that my phone just worked as it should when calling other UK numbers in the States - no delays. 

Roaming is actually one of the main reasons I have always stayed with Vodafone. I have used my phone all over the world and the roaming just works. 4G where available and flat rate charging. 

You mentioned that you have unlimited max plan. That will allow free roaming in USA.  Just be aware that you will have a 25gb per month roaming cap on this plan. It's not unlimited data usage outside of UK.  

Hope you can get your travel plans sorted soon.