main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Website security certificate coming from vodafone content control even though it's off.

2: Seeker

I'm using Vodafone home broadband and when i try to access the https version of imgur I get the following error from google chrome- 

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from i.imgur.com

when I go into the advanced info tab it tells me - 

This server could not prove that it is i.imgur.com; its security certificate is fromcontentcontrol.vodafone.co.uk. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

I'm confused as to why this occurs as vodafone content control says it is off on my account page. And it only seems to happen to this website.

This is exceedingly annoying as by default the links on reddit open to the https version of imgur on desktop website and mobile app meaning I can barely use the website.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?

View more options
140 REPLIES
Moderator (Retired)

@IC17

I’ve just trying this on my phone and it worked fine.

I’m not sure why this is happening, so I’ve emailed a colleague to find out more information.

As soon as I get a reply, I’ll get back in touch.

View more options

Thanks for your reply, I've also noticed the same problem affecting gumtree and other websites on https but not all. (I can use https on my email fine). I can't think what is causing it but it happens to all devices using the vodafone broadband.

View more options
Same here. Reported weeks ago and repeatedly since but despite being "escalated" never heard back. If I use a mobile device / tethering and switch over to mobile data, the pages load on HTTPS with valid certificates and work as normal but on Vodafone Connect the security certificate issue happens every time. This really needs to be taken seriously.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@IC17

I’ve not had a reply from the relevant team as yet, so I’ve chased them for an update.

As soon as I know more, I’ll let you know.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@IC17 and @pipefan413

So that our engineers can investigate this for you, can you let me know the serial number of your Router?

As a work around, you can add the relevant site as an ‘exception’ in your browser, which will allow you to access it.

To do this in Chrome:

Go to Settings

Privacy > Content Settings

Manage exceptions

Enter the exact https:// url

Select ‘Allow’

Finished

If you’re not using Chrome, please let me know what browser you’re using and I’ll do my best to find some instructions on how to do this on there.

View more options

Any update on this ? been having this issue for the past week or so, at first I thought it was a problem with Firefox but I'm getting the same issues with Chrome and IE, Connection Unsafe, Not Redirecting Properly ect.

Tried any and all issues I can find, clearing cache and cookies, downgrading Firefox, adding exception, computer clock is correct, tried running in safe mode with addon-ons turned off ect but most of the 'fixes' are relating to the browser like clearing cookies and such, but since it's also happening in other browsers clearly it's something else.

View more options
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The latest update is just above your post.  There is a work around there from a member of the eForum Tech Team.

PWIAC

View more options

As I said, I tried adding an exception, it didn't work and that the issue isn't to do with the browser since it's happening in Firefox, Chrome and IE so adding an exception doesn't change anything.

View more options

@lockheart - Please let me know the serial number of your Router so we can raise this with our engineers.

View more options

I have this issue also, since broadband went live in November. Content controlls definitly off, but unable to access imgur on multiple devices and browsers without having to do an 'unsave reload' of the page becuase of invalid security certificate from Vodafone Content Controls. 

View more options

If you're still having this issue I've just managed to randomly find a fix.
While updating and reintstalling mods for a game I play called Kerbal Space Program I was looking over images for one mod on Imgur, but it wasn't showing the images, it only showed small gray boxes, what I did was right click on one of the boxes and clicked 'View Image' it will try to take you directly to the image instead of trying to view it in the gallery but it will come up with a security warning saying it's unsafe, I clicked 'I understand' and added an exception and now Imgur is working for me.

This was the gallery I was looking at, so if you don't see the images maybe try what I did and add an exception.

https://imgur.com/a/KlUTx#0

Don't worry, it's the real imgur and it is safe, it's just the certificate and/or security junk that's causing the login issues in the first place that are trying to block you.

View more options

This absolutely is not solved. It did work OK for me for about a week, but the problem has reappeared.

View more options

Yeah, this STILL isn't solved and now on chrome the work around I've become accustomed to using is not working as the "Ok (proceed)" option is now COMPLETELY hidden with no option or menu anywhere to override it.

It's some kind of issue with the handling of security certificates and for some reason this network traffic is being routed through content control even though it is been disabled. This really isn't my area of expertise but I would hope it is yours. Is it possible the content filtering process is being mishandled entirely?

View more options
3: Seeker

Just weighing in on this as well - same issue for me. Any idea if this is being looked at, Vodafone?

View more options

I have the same issue but with other website ##~##  I trired the workaround, but it didn't work for me.

Moderator  note, content removed as this violates our comunity guidelines.

View more options
This is pretty ridiculous, honestly. Workaround doesn't actually work because on sites like imgur - an image hosting site which has the singular purpose of displaying images and sod all else - images don't load even after implementing the workaround. Plus, any secondary references to affected sites such as imgur (e.g. imgur-hosted image files embedded in Reddit pages) don't allow the workaround to be implemented.

We're a year down the line here and still no further forward with basic web functionality over HTTPS. Asking for router serial numbers to be posted onto a public forum is as ludicrous as the problem itself.

Fix it!
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @pipefan413

To discuss this problem please call our team on 08080 034 515.

Louise

View more options

Why? I've spoken to them, they don't know why it doesn't work either.

There are enought people posting hear to prove it is a network problem - eother escalate it, or close down the forum, because there is no reason to post here.

View more options
16: Advanced member

Why would they close down the forum? Loads of people get help here every day - I believe that is the point of it. Just because your query cannot be resolved on here doesn't mean there is no reason to post here.

PWIAC

View more options