Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network unlock advice .

SaltySeadog
3: Seeker

Hi, could you please offer me some advice. 

I have just bought a second hand Xperia xa2 from someone whose wife had the original contract. He told me he had been unsuccessful in network unlocking it from Vodafone.  This was done through Vodafone not an unofficial route. I have checked the network unlock counter and I have only 2 attempts left to unlock. 

So. 

Phone is second hand to me. 

Xperia xa2. 

I have a Vodafone PAYG £10 bundle.

Only 2 attempts left to  network unlock from Vodafone.

I am aware I need to use this Vodafone sim for 30 days at. 

Please tell me where I stand, what I must do and the recourse I have available in the event that network unlocking fails again. 

Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

SaltySeadog

Hi, could you please offer me some advice. 

I have just bought a second hand Xperia xa2 from someone whose wife had the original contract. He told me he had been unsuccessful in network unlocking it from Vodafone.  This was done through Vodafone not an unofficial route. I have checked the network unlock counter and I have only 2 attempts left to unlock. 

So. 

Phone is second hand to me. 

Xperia xa2. 

I have a Vodafone PAYG £10 bundle.

Only 2 attempts left to  network unlock from Vodafone.

I am aware I need to use this Vodafone sim for 30 days at. 

Please tell me where I stand, what I must do and the recourse I have available in the event that network unlocking fails again. 

Thank you. 

Did the original owner explain why they had failed to unlock it @SaltySeadog 

As a new Vodafone Payg owner you'd need to use the sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls and sending texts etc.

After 30 days request the unlock using the online unlocking form.

Be careful because if you use up the attempts then the phone will be hard locked and will need to be sent off by Vodafone to have its counter reset.

The other option is to use a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones which would come at a cost.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Did the original owner explain why they had failed to unlock it @SaltySeadog 

I think the whole of the unlock section of this forum may offer a clue. 

As a new Vodafone Payg owner you'd need to use the sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls and sending texts etc.

Aye, got that. 

After 30 days request the unlock using the online unlocking form.

Yes, will do. 

Be careful because if you use up the attempts then the phone will be hard locked and will need to be sent off by Vodafone to have its counter reset.

I think this is where we need to start to question Vodafone and why it is so difficult. 

The other option is to use a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones which would come at a cost.

Absolutely should not be necessary. Why should I carry the financial burden for Vodafones failure to deliver on their obligations? 

Also on the last point I raised in my op, what recourse do I have as this section of the forum has given me no hope at all I will get my phone unlocked through Vodafone. 

What we see on the forum is posts from people who have experienced difficulties with unlocking.

What we don't see is people creating a forum account to post that they've been successful in unlocking their phone which would I believe add more balance.

What I would suggest is to go through the process and see how this turns out. There isn't much else you can do.

Yes I submit paying a Highstreet shop to unlock is a last resort but I wouldn't be providing all the available options if I didn't mention this avenue @SaltySeadog 

If you do experience issues then customer service can supply the Nuc department email address and you can come back to the forum and engage with the Vodafone Social Media Teams for support via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Current Phone  >

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

What we see on the forum is posts from people who have experienced difficulties with unlocking.

What we don't see is people creating a forum account to post that they've been successful in unlocking their phone which would I believe add more balance.

What I would suggest is to go through the process and see how this turns out. There isn't much else you can do.

Yes I submit paying a Highstreet shop to unlock is a last resort but I wouldn't be providing all the available options if I didn't mention this avenue @SaltySeadog 

If you do experience issues then customer service can supply the Nuc department email address and you can come back to the forum and engage with the Vodafone Social Media Teams for support via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Most certainly not having a pop at anyone personally. I'm also aware that the negative comments are a weighted sample. 

I don't know how this community works or if anyone here is employed by Vodafone. If just like to make the best of my last 2 unlock attempts. 

It may be that Vodafone works best where I need it to but as I'm pretty rural I need to find out. 

Cheers for the reply. 

Totally appreciate you wanting to be as prepared as you can.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here work for Vodafone and help here on the forum with non account based issues / enquiries.

For account specific queries then they can only help via the Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries link I've added.

You can see what's expected but not guaranteed for your area via inputting your postcode into the Status-checker. 

Current Phone  >