Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iMessage and Factime won’t activate

David1979
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, after buying a iPhone 12 and  porting my number from EE to Vodafone I can’t get iMessage and FaceTime to activate on my phone number but it works on email address . I have 

-reset may phone

- logged in/out Apple ID

- checked the data/time

- checked location

- reinserted the Sim then changed to esim( which I didn’t even want)

- waited 24hrs

- reset network settings

- checked my phone number is on the account/phone

-read every forum guide and tried it

-contacted Apple who said it’s Vodafone 

-contacted Vodafone who said it’s Apple

Does anyone have any advice or anything  I might not of tried as wasted a day trying to sort this out now, wishing I kept my iPhone 8 on EE which worked fine ☹️

5 REPLIES 5

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling to connect to iMessage and Facetime @David1979 . It looks like you've tried a number of the things I would advise. I can you've logged out of your Apple ID. Have you tried removing your number from your account.

To remove a phone number from an Apple ID, sign out of FaceTime and iMessages on your phone. Sign out by following these steps 👉

- Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

- Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

This should remove your phone number from other devices using the same Apple ID with FaceTime and Messages, including your old iPhone. Restart your phone and try signing in again. 

If the phone’s pre-owned and used with a different network, you may need to reset it back to factory settings and trying to reconnect to these services.

Let us know how you get on when trying these options.

I can see on your message you mentioned swapping to an e-SIM, but not wanting to do this. We’ll be happy to switch you back to your physical SIM. As we’ll need to access your account to do this, pop us a message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

Thanks for reply.

Phone was brand new.

I’ve managed to swap sim back to a normal sim then put sim in my old phone and it was exactly the same everything works but phone number has spinning disc and says verifying in iMessage settings  but email has a tick anyway I find it hard to believe both phones are broken as it worked fine on EE

Also now when I’m sending standard text messages people are getting multiple messages from me of same message I dunno if it’s coincidence or not.

I’ve tried all your hints  with no joy so far........

Day 5 and the saga/nightmare  is finally over, randomly as if by magic my number suddenly verified and everything is working fine. This is after being told by Vodafone I needed a new Iphone and Apple saying it’s a Vodafone issue as phone was fine...... anyway all sorted now 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for our late reply @David1979 I'm glad to hear your number was verified and iMessage is working again 😁 

Lilhas123
1: Seeker

Hi,

Had this same problem on my wife's phone when we changed to a new phone. Lots / multiple calls to Vodafone who said it was an Apple firmware problem. Asked for complaint to be escalated as Vodafone operatives were just reading from a script with advise that i could get on the Net. - it didnt solve problem!

Rang Apple and they were brilliant - after a couple of tests said it was definitely Vodafone.

With me on the line they rang through to Vodafone and convinced them to reset vodafone settings.

It was working within 3 minutes! Without  the help from Apple we would never got it sorted and would still be passed around Vodafone Help