Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Twitter & some other apps blocked

Kilsally
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. 

Twitter & some other sites appear to be blocked since a recent update on my Huawei P30 Pro which included a text message about the APN getting updated. This includes 

the Twitter app & third party twitter apps. 

Works fine when on Wi-Fi.

I have tried resetting the APN but this did not fix the issue although seemed to get Facebook working again.

Any ideas before I default the phone? Can DNS be configured for the mobile data connection? (Can't see any settings for it) 

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

That's a very odd one.   Are you accessing these sites via a browser or their own apps (eg Twitter)?

There are two things you can try:
If via a browser, clear it's cache and data (there's be an option in the broswer's settings).   This will remove cookies, so you'll need to sign in to everything again, but may fix the issues.
If via apps, clear their data, which will have the same effect as above.

If all that fails, I wouldn't phone as this isn't really the sort of thing frontline customer services can address.   Contact the Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter as they'll be able to take the details and do some research offline, rather than keep you hanging on.

Edited to add: the final, nuclear, option would be a factory reset, which is sometimes necessary after a system update, though not as often as it used to be.

Hi, 

It's the Twitter app & Janeter Pro (third party twitter app) & also the Nuzzel news app & twitter website.

They all work fine as soon as I switch to WiFi at home oror at work. It only occurs when I am using Vodafone data 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Kilsally What Vodafone service do you currently use? i.e. Pay Monthly or Pay as You Go? 

Also; once confirming the above, please can you advise what APN settings are showing installed right now? 

Hi. Pay Monthly. 

APN is set to Pay Monthly as opposed to PAYG.

Set to wap.vodafone.co.uk

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Kilsally Thanks! I'd advise checking all of the relevant details are completed as in our Device Guide and ensuring the latest updates are on your phone for the affected apps. If you find that's still not done the trick, please make sure you back up all the relevant files before completing a factory reset. Let us know how you get on!

Hi. I ended up performing a factory reset and this did not fix the issue either. Both Twitter & Facebook apps work on WiFi but not on Vodafone data. Neither do the Twitter & Facebook websites using Chrome.

I get "your connection is not private" error plus Net::Err_Cert_Authority_Invalid

Clicking Advanced I get "You cannot vusit twitter.com right now because the website uses HSTS" 

Just switched off Vodafone SecureNet and away it went - Twitter app working fine, so the issue is Vodafone I presume?