Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling

LW046
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Nokia 2.3, purchased from Voda mid 2020, did not have Wifi Calling option until I received the text from Voda early this year saying now available. The option had then appeared on my Calls - Settings menu & it has made such a difference in my poor mobile signal home. But last week I received an automatic system update (Google? Nokia?) & now Wifi Calling has not only dropped off the phone but there is once again no option on my phone to select it. Disaster! Voda Customer Service blame Nokia, Nokia doesn't think it is them & can only suggest such dramatic solutions as full reset, which I hardly think will help, when the Wifi Calling option didn't exist until Jan & would only cause me more hassle (I'm not a very techie person). I think the system update probably came from Google & I have no way of contacting them. Really needs a Voda techie who was involved in Jan roll-out of the service to sort out the problem in conjunction with Nokia &/or Google but mere mortals like me have no way of contacting them. Anyone got any ideas? I haven't yet contacted Voda complaints - I don't actually think they have caused the problem - but is that the only way forward? 

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

I've heard of this happening and the tech team can usually get it sorted.   Your best bet would be to drop a note to the Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter.   Once they have your details, they can get this escalated rather than trying to fix it while you're on the other end of a call or chat connection.

The update will have come from Nokia if the device was bought SIM-free, or Vodafone if it was part of your contract.

It seems like WiFi calling will work on all iPhones whether bought from Vodafone or not. But the other Android phones on the list of compliant phones have to be bought from Vodafone. I have tried a Motorola G7 Power - not on the list and doesn't work however I try the methodology or hacks. So bought a Sony L4 - it's on the list - but you can't just buy a phone from Vodafone if you are SIM-only - AND - you know what - it doesn't work.  Voda seem to be completely disengaged with WiFi Calling and is stopping the Sure service so what to do?

hrym

Just what works and what doesn't is bizarre.   I have a Sony L3, which worked out of the box, so I'm slightly surprised that the L4 doesn't.   Vodafone also list one of the Moto G8s (Play, I think), but other models from the same range, which presumably work in exactly the same way, don't - my G8+ doesn't.   Both my devices were bought SIM free.

I have seen suggestions that the tech department can send an OTA update for some devices (usually when wifi calling has disappeared after an update) and that this may be an APN.   I'm not sure that's the case and it's possible it's actually the Carrier Services app.

The Moto range uses pretty much pure Android and it's ironic that Vodafone wifi calling can't apparently be made to work with that.  It looks as though it may come down to how manufacturers implement Carrier Services - afaik, if a device works, it will do so whether it was bought form Vodafone or SIM-free.