Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Play App Using Very High Backround Mobile Data

GerardQ
4: Newbie

I've recently experienced a problem with unexpected and unexplained high data usage.

I've got an HTC One Mini (first release version 2013) running on Android 4.4.2, HTC Sense 6.0.

It's not however a phone issue, nor do I think is it down to Vodafone. I beleve that the Google Play App is the culprit. When I check data usage for this app, it's extremely high compared to any other app's data usage. I'm a very light user of mobile data but yesterday, 250Mb worth of Google Play background data was consumed inside a few minutes and I've no idea why! I've had my phone since August 2013 and all has been good until 3 weeks ago when this issue suddenly appeared. I might add that I've been on Android 4.4.2 for a few months so its not even down to any significant system update, so that doesn't explain the exorbitant usage. I've since enabled Google Play to only allow background data when I'm on Wi-Fi. It's really annoying. I now won't be using any mobile data until the problem is fixed, yet I'm paying £29 each month for 1Gb data.now won't be using any mobile data until the problem is fixed yet I'm paying £29 each month for 1Gb data.

Has anyone at Vodafone encountered this issue of the Google Play app and its excessive use of background data? Yes, I can use the finest data monitor app there is, but that of itself doesn't get to the root of the problem. I might add that I've contacted Google about this. It seems several users have been affected at different times by this problem.

GerardQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's a matter of personal preference.  I have auto-update off altogether, then I'm in control.  For instance, I don't do anything else while it's updating, so as not to interfere with the process.  There's also no danger of it starting to update while I'm just passing a hotspot or something like that.   If there's an update I want urgently, I might do just that on 3G, but normally I wait for wifi.  You can still use the "update all" option and let it get on with it when you're good to go.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

hrym

It's always best to set Play not to auto-update as well.  This allows you to control what happens when - it's pointless it trying to update if you've only got 2G, for instance.

You could also try clearing data on the app or eeven force-stopping it and see if that helps.

Thanks for additional advice about setting Play not to auto-update (in addition to what I've already done - restrict background data when on mobile data.)

One clarification - do you think I'm best to still allow auto-update when on Wi-Fi or... turn off auto update completely, regardless of mobile network or Wi-Fi connection.

Gerard

hrym

It's a matter of personal preference.  I have auto-update off altogether, then I'm in control.  For instance, I don't do anything else while it's updating, so as not to interfere with the process.  There's also no danger of it starting to update while I'm just passing a hotspot or something like that.   If there's an update I want urgently, I might do just that on 3G, but normally I wait for wifi.  You can still use the "update all" option and let it get on with it when you're good to go.

GerardQ
4: Newbie
Got it in one. Makes complete sense. Many thanks for reassuring advice.

hrym

Lets hope it solves the data use issue.