Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3765 problem with standby and hibernate

Jorrit
Not applicable
The readme PDF for Vodafone Mobile Connect 9.4.6 says:

The K3760 cannot be used after resuming from Standby or Hibernation. Also, when the device is removed from the computer and then plugged in again, it will not be recognised afterwards. Workaround: reboot the computer.

My question is: does this also apply for the K3765? Because I'm experiencing exactly those issues on Windows 7 32 bit. It even prevents Windows from shutting down properly, generating a blue screen with code 0x0000009F after 15-20 minutes of showing "Shutting down".
5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Holly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Jorrit Schippers,

A warm welcome to the eForum, nice to see new faces. :P

That's a very good question, I believe the same issues do apply. When using mobile broadband if possible try not to remove the dongle from your computer, this will kill the connection and you then have to reboot.

Regarding removing the dongle to shut down, have you tried clicking the small icon at the bottom right of the toolbar to 'safely remove hardware', this will kill the live connection to the internet so you can take the dongle out of your computer.

If you can try this and let us know if the problem shutting down still persists. Fingers crossed! :)

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team

Jorrit
Not applicable
I have tried the following steps (in the mentioned order):
- Disconnect the active UMTS connection
- Exit VMC
- Eject the device
- Remove the device (physically)
- Invoke standby

When resuming from standby and inserting the dongle, it is no longer recognised. Let's call this state the broken state.

Normally (when the device is inserted and works), I have two additional COM ports and a bunch of other devices:
- Vodafone Mobile Broadband Diagnostics Port (Huawei) (COM6)
- Vodafone Mobile Broadband Secondary Port Modem (Huawei) (COM7)

However, in the broken state, I have just one COM port and no other devices:
- Vodafone Mobile Broadband-USB Device (Huawei) (COM5)

When I am in the broken state, most of the times I can't use Wifi either. The button on my HP laptop that normally switches the Wifi antenna becomes unusable. When I try to shut down the computer, it takes a long time and eventually results in a blue screen of death, with error code 0x0000009f.

In addition to this, I once got a blue screen when merely disconnecting (so I wasn't in the broken state). This was an 0x000000c2 error.

Of both blue screens I have some memorydumps. Perhaps you can send them to Huawei for analysis. I prefer to send them in private and not post them on this forum, because I have no idea if there are any personal details stored in them.

My versions are:
VMC 9.4.4
Driver 1.0.2.904 (ewusbnet.sys)

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Jorrit,

Hmmm, this does sound strange. I've heard of issues with the modem drivers being recognised after going into standby mode, but I've never heard of it causing blue screen errors in windows. I suspect that there may be some conflicts with some other software on the computer. Additionally, do you notice if this happens when you exit VMC at all (File > Exit)?

George
eForum Team

Jorrit
Not applicable
With "Exit VMC" I meant exactly that: exiting the program. It might be related to some other program on the computer, that's quite hard to verify. The only major pieces of software are VMware 6.5 and Office 2007. I can understand when you are unable to handle my problem, it looks like quite a hard problem to me as well. I just don't use standby or hibernate anymore and I can cope with the problem fairly well. However, if you are able to communicate with your hardware supplier Huawei and in need of some debugging information, I'm more than happy to cooperate.

Retired-Albert_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Jorrit

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

There is a page on our site for Software Support that confirms the situation you have encountered.

Here is the officiial stance from that page...

Drivers can become corrupt due to your computer going on standby or hibernating without the datacard being shut down properly beforehand. If this happens close down the Vodafone Mobile Connect software, then safely eject the datacard, restart your PC and reinsert the data card. This should rectify the problem. If the problem still occurs reinstall the Vodafone Mobile Connect application software.

To avoid this problem, remember to close your Vodafone Mobile Connect software and remove the data cards prior to placing your computer in 'hibernate' or 'standby' mode

Unfortunately I can't see any way to fix this.

Take care

Albert
eForum team