cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem with Blackberry phone and hands-free in car...

ats4603
4: Newbie

Hello

I have a Blackberry 9105 phone which I connect to the hands-free facility in a VW Touareg.  Every time I do this I get four messages on the car system, apparently from "6", which I cannot open...  Otherwise it all works OK.  When I disconnect gro the car, I get multiple texts on the handset saying:

It looks like you’ve swapped your SIM or updated your device. To continue using data and sending picture messages, you need to update your settings manually, as your device doesn’t support automatic settings updates. Get started at vodafone.co.uk/settingsinfo

Needless to say, I haven't changed anything on the phone and clicking the link doesn't take me anywhere helpful.

I've been into my local Vodafone store several times and just get told that "it happens sometimes, nothing can be done"; on one occasion I was told to change my phone!

It's annoying more than anything else, and it only started happening suddenly a few months ago.  Any suggestions?

TIA

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

Oh, gosh, Bluetooth in cars!   Don't you just love it?   It seems that VW group vehicles use the Remote SIM Access protocol (rsap) and that, in some devices (and, perplexingly, with some SIMs) can either cause a total communication failure and/or the problem you're experiencing.

What I think is happening is that the connection to the car is breaking that with the phone so that, when you disconnect, the phone thinks it's got a new SIM and tells you to upgrade your settings.   No, you don't need to and you can ignore the message, but you won't be able to stop it happening.

Why this has suddenly started happening is a bit of a mystery, but it's probably due to a system upgrade, either in the car or the phone.   If it's the latter, contact a VW dealer and ask them to make sure your car has the latest software.  Sadly, though, car manufacturers aren't especially interested in which version of Bluetooth they fit and are often well behind what's in phones, resulting in all kinds of incompatibilities.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

jeffkinn

What type of problems are you referring to? How does a sim card impact your hands free experience?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png