cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Purchased an xperia z2, did an imei check, it was wrong.

Ilikesony
2: Seeker

Hi, I purchased an xperia z2 on ebay (i know) now before I purchased I checked the imei online, said it was not blocked/blacklisted, so purchased it, tried various sim carriers in it, but nothing worked, did another imei test and it came up.saying it's barred by Vodafone, I'm not with Vodafone myself anymore (wife is) so I brought it being told it was unlocked and looks unlocked via the secret menu sim lock coding, but a factory refresh shows the Vodafone firmware as you get the Vodafone carrier apps appear, now I need to know if there is any way of rectifying the issue of this phone, with Vodafone to get it useable on all networks rather than it be a little tablet only, some outstanding bill? Or something to pay (as long as it's not to much) any help please, much appreciated in advanced, thankyou.

11 REPLIES 11

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

If the handset has been blocked by the network, it would indicate that the device has been reported lost or stolen.  I would advise you to get in touch with the person who sold you the device and try to return it and get your money back through eBay.  I'm afraid that Vodafone won't remove the blacklisting except at the request of the original owner.

PWIAC

Ilikesony
Hi, yes I knew I'd get a reply like that, I'm getting a bit of a refund on the phone, as its still a good bit of kit and makes a nice little tablet even if I can't unbar it, also for what I paid for it with the slight refund it's fine, I will be in contact with Vodafone to see what's what this week.

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Ilikesony wrote:
Hi, yes I knew I'd get a reply like that, I'm getting a bit of a refund on the phone, as its still a good bit of kit and makes a nice little tablet even if I can't unbar it, also for what I paid for it with the slight refund it's fine, I will be in contact with Vodafone to see what's what this week.

Only a slight refund and you are quite happy to carry on using someone else's property, which makes you a partner in crime.  

Its dishonest sellers like this who let the site down. You should demand a full refund from this dishonest seller or will make a report through PayPal.  You have been sold a stolen phone and this seller has taken your money in return.  The phone could even be the subject of a insurance claim and would now be the property of the insurance company.

Vodafone won't be able to discuss anything direct with you, you are not the original owner of the phone who requested the IMEI block.

Ilikesony
Very helpful answer, turns out it was a lost phone, claimed on insurance, was found and it's now been sold on about twice, I may have a chance of getting hold of the original owner, but we'll see.

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member

That sounds dodgy as hell my friend.

As it's been sold on twice and insurance blocked I would contact the Insurance fraud task force as it sounds like they originally sold it as unblocked (from what you said in your first post) and you did an IMEI check, but on arrival it's blocked shows the handset owner knew what they were doing and you could be seen as handling stolen goods even though it's been classed as lost. (theft by finding) 

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/insurance-fraud-taskforce

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

drey_p

Guys, I hate to be a party pooper, but this thread is about 15 months old....

PWIAC

hooker1uk

strange - this was at the top of the forum?

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

drey_p

@hooker1uk wrote:

strange - this was at the top of the forum?

I can't say I noticed it before you posted in it.  It's possible my glasses need a clean though lol

PWIAC

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

I believe that there's a reorganisation of the Forum in progress; until it's finished, the date order is probably going to be all over the place, so regular posters on the Forum need to be alert for old threads floating to the top - then sinking again, if left to their own devices.