Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R635

nickbegy
Not applicable
I am a recent customer of mobiel broadband and I am infuriated.

I keep geeting an error when in range of any wifi which is R635 and wotn connect. Even when out of raneg at home I get this.

Therefore the 2 places I want to use this on the train and at home I cant.

What is thsi error? How do I clear it? I tried the call centre and after half our of god knows what, got nowhere.

Someone help or I will look to leave Vodafone

24 REPLIES 24

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi nickbegy,

I'm sure we'll get this fixed for you :)

Error 635 is normally the code used for unknown errors. Is this coming up only when your modem's connected and is the modem the item not working or is it the WiFi connection? If you remove the modem what happens then?

When using Mobile Broadband it's always best if you disable any WiFi hardware on your computer as this can cause problems with the connection running.

Thanks,

Tom

eForum Team

nickbegy
Not applicable
It is when the modem/dongle is plugged in. Flashed blue so there is signal, but keep getting this message. It does tend to be when I am in range of other wireless networks. Can I turn off this function somehow when not needed.

It is really a prob on my commute as this is what i got it for as wifi oin train is awful, but vodafone wont work

LeeJS
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi nickbegy,

Depending on what lap top you're using you may be able to disable the Wi Fi hardware when it's not required.

If you take a look at your lap top's user guide it should give you some guidance on whether it's possible and if so how.

Let us know how you get on.

Lee

eForum Team

nickbegy
Not applicable
Still no joy. Very intermittent service. It works in one place soem days but next get the error

nickbegy
Not applicable
Still i find this product very poor.

What is the cancellation period? No one seems to be able to resolve

LeeJS
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there nickbegy,

It's a shame to hear that you're not happy with our Mobile Boradband service.

Were you able to disable the Wi Fi hardware on your laptop at all?

If so, when you get the error does this appear when the Wi Fi is disabled? Can I ask if you have post code for where this usually occurs?

In terms of cancelling there is an initial fourteen day peace of mind guarantee after which customers looking to cancel would be required to pay an early cancellation fee. How long have you had the modem?

Many thanks,

Lee

eForum Team

nickbegy
Not applicable
My postcode is Le15 7nj

More than 14 days as hoped to sort this out.

Do other people have the same issue? Could the modem be faulty?

I cannot find way on my lap top to turn off. Any thoughts? It is an AspireOne? However it does work soemtimes so not sure if is the problem

smurfsarepeopletoo
4: Newbie
My postcode is Le15 7nj

More than 14 days as hoped to sort this out.

Do other people have the same issue? Could the modem be faulty?

I cannot find way on my lap top to turn off. Any thoughts? It is an AspireOne? However it does work soemtimes so not sure if is the problem

I am guessing that you have the K3760 USB modem, this is apparently happening on alot of them, you could try the below fixes, if these dont work I would request swapping it for a E172 modem.

1. Update VMC to 9.3.6 on the device:
- Download the 9.3.6 installer from http://aftp.vodafonetcs.co.uk/Public/Utilities/K3760Utilities/Setup-9.3.6.12095.3760.zip
- Extract the contents of the file to the hard drive
- Ensure VMC is not running (including in the system tray) and run "Blacktip_iso_v
- Follow on screen instructions to install
- Once installed go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs (Programs and features in Vista) and uninstall exisiting Vodafone Mobile Connect
- Go to Control Panel and Phone and Modem Options
- Go to the modem tab and properties for the GI41x modem and select the Advanced tab
- Enter the Extra Initialisation command as AT_OMSIDSW and click apply and ok (this resets the device to CD Mode)
- Go to Control Panel and Network Connections (Network and Sharing Center and Manage Network Connections for Vista)
- Double click the Vodafone Mobile Connect Connection which should fail with error 692, this is normal
- Unplug the device and plug back in to Autoplay and install updated software
- Once installed retest

2. Refresh/Reset Connection in VMC:
- In the VMC software go to Manage Connections
- Click View
- Highlight the required connection and change the Connection Behaviour drop-down from Prompt to Manual
- Click OK, and OK again to return to the main screen
- Retest connection
- If connection now works you can reset the connection behaviour to prompt if required

3. Reset Device Components:
- Run VMC without device connected
- Go to Manage devices
- Highlight and uninstall/remove all references to the Globetrotter GI41x device and click ok to return to the main screen
- Close the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software by going to file and exit
- Go to Control Panel and select Phone and Modem options
- Select the Modem tab
- Highlight each entry for the Globetrotter GI41x and select remove
- Plug in the device, relaunch software and retest

4. Change Ports (has resolved issues on Vista):
- Go to Start Menu and select Run
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK (just type devmgmt.msc in the Start Menu search bar on Vista)
- Expand the Modem heading, right click the “Globetrotter GI41x – Modem Interface” and select Properties
- Select the Advanced tab and Advanced Port Settings
- Change the Port Number to a high end, unused, com port number e.g. 250
- Click OK and OK again to return to device manager (Note: If you receive an error indicating that the com port is in use, this is normal as indicates that the com port it was originally set to has had a problem)
- Expand the Ports (COM and LPT) heading, right click on the “Globetrotter GI41x – Application Interface” and select Properties
- Select the Port Setting tab and click on Advanced
- Change the Port Number to a high end, unused, com port number e.g. 251
- Click OK and OK again to return to device manager (Note: If you receive an error indicating that the com port is in use, this is normal as indicates that the com port it was originally set to has had a problem)
- Right click on the “Globetrotter GI41x – Diagnostic Interface” and select Properties
- Select the Port Setting tab and click on Advanced
- Change the Port Number to a high end, unused, com port number e.g. 251
- Reboot the machine and retest

5. Use Manual Connection
- Go to Start Menu and Connect to and use the Vodafone Mobile Connect Connection
- This connection can also be accessed from Control Panel and Network Connections (Network and Sharing Center and Manage Network Connections for Vista) if the Connect To option is not available
- If a manual connection has not been created, create one as follows:

Configure the Device

- Go to Control Panel/Phone and Modem Options, select Modems Tab

- Highlight the VMC device installed and select properties

- Click on the Advanced tab and enter AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”internet” in the Extra Initialisation Command field (for Huawei modems use AT+CGDCONT=16,”IP”,”internet”)

- Click Apply and OK to save changes

DUN Settings for Windows:

- Go to Start Menu, Control Panel, Network Connections and select Create a new Connection

- Choose "Connect to the Internet"

- Select "Set up my Connection Manually"

- Select "Connect Using Dial-up Modem"

- Ensure the VMC Device is selected/ticked (and nothing else)

- ISP Name is the name for the connection (a name of your choice)

- Enter the Phone number: *99***1# (for Huawei modems use *99***16#)

- Username & Password = web & web

- Click "Finish" to complete.

Note: If you cannot create a new dial up networking connection (the option to “connect using a dial up modem” is greyed out) then ensure both the “Telephony” and “Remote Access Connection Manager Services” are enabled and running from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Nickbeggy

I definately want to try disableing the Wifi as well, this could possibly be providing some interference with regards to the default connection that your laoptop use, ie, it might be overiding the modem everytime it picks up awifi signal.

Look on the task bar on the bottom right of the screen, you should have a network icon or wifi signal icon, right click and see if you have the option to disable Wifi or radio.

Alternatively go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > look for the Wifi connection then right click and disable.

You can always re-enable it later so please give this a shot too and let's see what happens.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team