cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to set call barring after switching to S4 mini with “Call barring rejected” message

lab1301
4: Newbie

I'm currently in Switzerland and I've barred all outgoing international calls via the website.  I've enabled Eurotraveller so incoming roaming calls are free but I want to bar all outgoing calls as well and unlike on my old phone this is not working on the Samsung S4 mini.  

About two weeks ago I switched from an old Nokia 6330i to the S4 mini. The S4 mini takes a smaller SIM so I’ve changed SIMS but kept the same number. On the Nokia call barring worked and Vodafone customer services have confirmed that my old Nokia barring password is the correct barring PIN. I have not received any SIM updates since switching from a SIM only to pay monthly contact and not sure whether this matters.

On the S4 mini whenever I set call barring (via Phone->Call Settings->Additional Settings->Call Barring) I get the message “Call barring rejected”. I’ve tried this with the same barring password that worked with the Nokia as well as 0000.   

Vodafone customer services suggested that I activate "All outgoing calls" call barring by dialling the following from the key pad but this does not work either and I’ve tried this with both my PIN and 0000

ACTIVATE: *33*PIN#

CANCEL: #33*PIN#

When I enter the above I get the message:

Call barring

Connection problem or invalid MMI code

All outgoing calls for All Basic Services

Whenever I attempt changing the barring password I get the message  "Error Unable to change password" when entering my barring PIN for the current password.  Tried 0000 for the current password as well and still can't change the barring password.

The questions that I have is:

1)   How can I set call barring from the menu via Phone->Call Settings->Additional Settings->Call Barring rather than having to enter an MMI code.  I want to be able to set and unset call barring at will bearing in mind I have signed up to EuroTraveller.

There are some screenshots attached.

37 REPLIES 37

Hi Sarah,

I've just emailed as follows. I was told that the international call bar will be lifted on SUnday night but it is still in place and hence, I cannot call a UK/interntional numbers when in Switzerland.  Can someone please call me instead?

Date: 21 January 2015 at 18:41
Subject: WRT165
To: (removed for security)

Hi Drupad,

Unfortunately I'm in Zurich and I'm unable to call UK numbers as there is an international call bar in place on my phone.  Can you please ask 2nd line to call me?  The information I need from 2nd line is:
  1. The call barring password I should use

Hi again Sarah,

I've just tried chatting to someone via live chat but I couldn't get through to him that I'm abroad and there is an international call bar on my account.  Instead he kepyt insistng that I call 191 for help.  When you are in Switzerland you cannot call UK numbers if there  is an international outgong call bar.  

I was in the UK last weekend and I was told that this bar will be lifted on Sunday but it is still in place.  I can take incoming roaming calls though so can someone please call me on my vodafone contract number?   

Rather than waiting for a call from 191 I called 191 from my Swiss mobile and I’ve just spoken to 2nd line and I was asked to enter the following MMI code: #331* and as requested I’ve done it. My account is being refreshed and I will try the following MMI codes again in 24 hours after a phone reboot and will email you the output again:

Can you please pass the output from the following MMI codes to 2nd line support:

* # 331 #

Call barring

All Outgoing international calls

Service was enabled for:

Voice

FAX

SMS

Sync

Async

#331*7367#

Call barring

All outgoing international calls for All Basic Services

A photo of the last command output was posted on eforums about a month ago. The last command probably means that the call barring option is currently locked due to repeated entry of the wrong password. Hopefully, the account reset/refresh will resolve this but I will email again same time tomorrow.

And once again, if you read the notes on my account from last Saturday you will see that the manager at vodafone store in Hackney posted that my SIM on his phone was barred for international calls and his SIM on my phone was enabled for international calls. 

I would also re-read my post here of last Saturday/Sunday. 

I finally spoke to someone sensible at 2nd line today from my Swiss mobile for 10 minutes and now I’m fairly confident that we are on the right track to resolving this issue first reported to first line via 191 on the 2nd of November 2014. I entered the following MMI codes and read out the output to her as follows:

* # 331 #

Call barring

All Outgoing international calls

Service was enabled for:

Voice

FAX

SMS

Sync

Async

#331*7367#

Call barring

All outgoing international calls for All Basic Services

I’ve also tried calling +44 207 2** 0**9 in the last hour from here in Zurich and I can confirm that the call was barred by the network.  

Also, normally, when you enter the wrong barring password more than 3 times you are prompted to enter either the security code or PUK code to unlock the call barring option. However, I’m not getting that prompt now either on the S4 Mini, Nokia 6330i or 6300.  If you read my post on eforums of ‎18-01-2015 12:55 AM then you will see that I have replicated the problem that I have on my contract SIM on a PAYG sim. If you are able to replicate a problem then you have a problem that can be resolved as long as someone from 2nd or 3rd line is reading it.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @lab1301 

Thanks for the update. If you need my team to take another look at this, please reply to the last email.

Sukhi

@Sukhi

I replied to the last email two days ago anc I've replied again today with the latest update after chating to second line.  I'm now waiting for second line to get back to me.

I've justed emailed the following to vodafone 2nd line.

Case: CS0_Deleted

For the attention of 2nd line support

As instructed I've tried entering the MMI code:
   #331*1919#
and the output that I get is:
Call barring
Connection problem or invalid
MMI code.
All outgoing international calls
for All basic Services

Please see attached photo sent via email for the signal strength and the actual error message.  This is probably because the call barring option is now locked.

You should be able to replicate this issue as follows as I did last Saturday on a PAYG sim:
  1. Insert a new PAYG sim on a S4 mini (or any device for that matter)
  2. The call barring password is a network password, which means if you don't have network coverage you will not be able to navigate to the call barring menu
  3. Use menus to navigate to Call Settings->Additional Settings->Call barring->Voice call as per link below 
  4. Tick on any box and you will be prompted for Input password
  5. Enter the default password 1919 (not 0000 as instructed in the vodafone link) and you will either activate or deactivate barring
  6. I demonstrated call barring on the S4 mini to the vodafone store managers at Hackney and Bond St last Saturday and I got them to update my record confirming this
  7. Now repeatedly enter the wrong password and the barring option will be locked with no warning whatsoever and you will get a "Call barring rejected" when using the menu driven option.  With Orange I recall getting a warning when the barring password is locked prompting you to enter the security code
This is how you set call barring on the S4 mini without having to enter MMI codes (this is for the benefit of vodafone agents who man 191 who repeatedly tell me that call baring does not work or is not available on the S4 mini):
http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini/change-settings/call-restrictions/turn-ca...

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @lab1301 ,

I can see we have duplicate emails from you in our queue. 

We'll be in touch as soon as we reach them.

We're unable to discuss individual account queries here on the eForum.

Thanks,

Ben

These emails have already been sent to customer services and the tone of the first emails sums up what I think of Vodafone.

Latest email sent 6th of February:

To: help.vodafone.co.uk
Cc: lab1301

Vodafone phone number: 07XXXXXXX
Vodafone account number: 68XXXXXX

Hi Darshit,
Further to my last email of the 3rd of December I’ve chatted to 191 this morning and I’ve tried the following as suggested:
1. Choose a separate network provider via settings->more networks->mobile networks->network operators. 

I tried selecting both sunrise and orange CH and the request was rejected.  But I was able to connect to Swisscom with no issues.  I then rebooted the phone and I can confirm that the international call bar is still in place.  I tried unbarring the bar using code 1919 and it was not successful with the same message as the one in the photo posted to 191 more than once previously.

My contract started on the 1st of November and this call barring problem was first reported to 191 on the 2nd of November as shown from the date stamp on the vodafone response in the attached photo.   This issue has been on-going for more than three months now with me having to repeatedly investigate and demonstrate/explain to vodafone staff on how call barring works.  You have repeatedly failed to resolve this issue and I don’t believe that you will be able to resolve this because you do not have an adequate customer support process in place.   I have demonstrated to the Vodafone store managers in Hackney and Bond St call barring working on a PAYG sim but not on my contract sim and I have emailed your support staff instructions on how to replicate this issue on a PAYG sim and you still have failed to resolve this issue.  This is why I think you don’t have an adequate support process in place and you will not be able to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately, the service level that you have been able to provide on the new monthly contract as of the 1st of November is not the same as what you provide when I was on the previous SIM only contract.  If this issue is not resolved by this weekend then this contract is not fit for purpose as I raised an issue within 24 hours into the new contract and three months later we are nowhere near to be resolved.   I will be calling 191 this evening to see how we can either terminate this contract or resolve this call barring issue by this weekend.

I would also like you to get back to me on reimbursement for the PAYG sim and for all the calls to 191 I had to make from my Swiss sim because you were not able to lift the call bar on my contract sim.  The PAYG sim was purchased so that I could demonstrate to vodafone staff how call barring works. The vodafone hackney store manager was unable/unwilling to provide me a free PAYG sim and this cost was incurred by me for your benefit because of your inadequete support process.  

Link to issue/timeline on eforums:
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S4/Unable-to-set-call-barring-after-switching-to-S4-mi...: lab1301

Email sent 3rd of February:

Sent: Dienstag, 3. Februar 2015 23:18
To: help.vodafone.co.uk

Hi Darshit,
I've just had the text in the attached photo and it looks like we have taken a few steps back. Is this the best that 3rd line support can do?  This call barring issue was first reported on the 2nd of November (see attached photo of SMS from vodafone) and this has been going on now for 3 months.  Can someone read what I've posted on eforums because we are repeatedly doing what we've already tried and failed.   Why do you think an "account refresh" is going to work this time?  Does anyone have a clue as to what you are doing at the vodafone end or have the faintest idea of what the problem is?    I had to spend my money and time buying a PAYG sim and go to two of your stores and demonstrate to the managers there how call barring works on a PAYG sim but not on my contract SIM. 

I can assure you that I know how call barring works as I've demonstrated it to vodafone staff and I can also assure you that call barring does not work on my contract sim and the international call bar was still in place this morning. 

Link to eforums:
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S4/Unable-to-set-call-barring-after-switching-to-S4-mi...

On 30 January 2015 at 16:07, Vodafone Customer Services wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked with our 2nd line technical team and your case is still under investigation. They've asked our network team to contact you directly and you should be contacted soon by them.

In case you required any update on this case, can you please reply straight to this email instead of creating a new email to avoid any duplicate case reference?

Many thanks,

Darshit
Customer Service Agent (eForum)
Vodafone Limited
Vodafone HQ, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2FN
Registered in England No 1471587

Email sent a few weeks back

----- lab1301 Wrote -----
Case: CS000179XXXXX

For the attention of 2nd line support

Hi Darshit,
I've given all the information that 2nd line wanted and I'm waiting for them to come back to me.  Can you please liaise with 2nd line regarding case  CS000179XXXXX? 
I've told 2nd line how the issue that I'm having can be replicated on a PAYG sim.  Once you have a solution to the problem then I'm expecting them to get in touch so that my contract sim can be fixed.  HAve you actually spoken to 2nd line about this?  I'm a little bit confused as to what more information you require bearing in mind that I'm in Switzerland and there is a stuck international call bar on my account, which, no one is able to remove.  If you read the full history of the call in eforums then you will see what I mean.

Link to eforums:
forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S4/Una
ble-to-set-call-barring-after-switching-to-S4-mini-with-Call/td-p/2317548/page/2

Hi @lab1301,

As previously mentioned, we can't discuss your account on the eForum.

We've received your latest email and we'll reply shortly.

Thanks,

Matt