Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone wallet

dscott2701
9: Established

I tried to set up Vodafone wallet and it keeps saying I need a phone compatible with NFC when I try to add my cards. I have a NFC compatible phone and the shop give me a NFC SIM card and done a SIM card swap does anyone know what is up with it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Glad that helped :Smiling:

I wouldn't think a Nfc sim card will interfere.

The phones inbuilt option coupled with Android Pay should take over. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

hrym

The classification "NFC SIM" is confusing and misleading, as is the wifi symbol on the carrier card!   The SIM doesn't actually have NFC on it and the phone will use the inbuilt system.  The SIM is merely compatible, and communicates with, the NFC connection.   I'm not sure whether it contains a secure element, but it should allow payment when the phone is switched off, or there's no mobile signal, which I don't think Android Pay can.*

If you have both payment methods on the phone, I think there's an option in the system Settings menu to choose which one to use.

* I've heard anecdotally of issues with AP that may be connected to a non-functioning data connection, possibly when the phone has connected to wifi but not logged in.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Android pay can work without data on for so many transactions but NFC certainly needs to be on and it doesn't seam to work if the phone is off or the battery is dead. I have been trying it recently but I took my bank card as backup just incase it didn't work. I have tried all the above ways mentioned. Overall I'm happy enough with android pay as a mobile payment app. 

hrym

If I haven't got a data connection, Vodafone Wallet will make the payment, but I don't get the notification until the connection is restored.   What happens with AP?

Same thing but you can only make a number of transactions before you have to restore the data connection. But yes when you do a transaction without data the notification triggers as soon as the internet or data connection is switched back on.

hrym

Thanks for that.  Very useful.   It sounds as though they have a software implementation of whatever it is Vodafone do via the NFC SIM.  I did wonder whether it was in the OS, but it's supposed to be compatible back as far as (I think) KitKat, so maybe not.