Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VDSL Speeds Dropped

Crashmoe
3: Seeker

I am on unlimited fibre 38 VDSL with a minimum guarentee dwonload synch speed of 25kbps.  I am basically happy with VF but there are problems with the speed continually going down in steps.  When I first started I had some issues and VF kindly called out BT engineers who confirmed everything was ok with wiring, filters etc.  But no change,  Thena VF CS level 2 called out a BT level two fibre engineer who chcekd the line and conifmed that there was some overheads being put on the line.  (He declined to say if it was VF or BT!) But the speed was great @ 27.8 from a thoreitcal max of 32kbps.  I confirmed this from his test equipment (See picture)Confirmed by  BT Test EquipmentConfirmed by BT Test Equipment

Ever since then the speed has been dropping  in steps ( I have logged the steady degredation). THE SYNCH SPEED IS NOW DOWN TO 17.1 !!  half of what it was and less than the guarenteed minimum of 25. Ringing customer service is not addressing the issues and they do not ring me back when they promise. Been offered FOC to leave conract but this is not adressing the underlying probem.  Any ideas and / or suggestions??

7 REPLIES 7

Crashmoe

An update

Today (21/10/17) @ aprox 5:30 pm  internet connection dropped for aprox 5 minutes and when it came back on again the speed had dropped down a step again.  It has now dropped down from 17.2 to 15.8(!)  Been contacted by VF by text to my mobile to say they intend to send me another router.  I have checked that I am alaready on the latest firmware so unless there is some sort of unique bug in my router then this will not chnage anything.  Getting a littel desperate.  Is there no one on this forum let alone somen from VF who can thorw somelight on this for me?

I had a big decrease in speed from 75 to 44mbps. Now I am at 35. I was supposed to get callback but nothing happened. I am hoping it is the DLM which VF do not control. As you probably know your line has to stay under a error theshold otherwise it will disconnect. Then the DLM will reduce your speed to stabilise your line.  Then at this lower speed your line should get less errors and your speed will rise again.  I have only been with VF for 6 weeks. & I was guaranteed 75mbps. But unless their is problem on your line, the same thing will happen with new provider as BT control DLM. However there seems to be some debate as to wether BT or ISP controls the DLM profile.  I think there are 3  profiles, standard, something else and speed. The last one which prioritises speed over stability. Zen Internet say they use this one. VF definitely don't.  That is all I know, If I don't get any drops my speed may go up in about 8 days, yippee !!

@stigmeister.  Thanks for signposting DLM as a psossible source of the issue.  This has to be the only reason for the problems that I m experiencing and the question remains who is responsble for setting / resetting DLM? and for the fact that DLM is contiually lowering my line speed.  I unfortuantly do not have your confidence that the line speed will rise again.  Mine is now down to 14.3 synch speed and I have been with VF for months.  My experience, it goes dwon regulally but the only way to get it back up is with a BT Fibre engineer who are the only people permitted to play around with DLM settings.  Catch 22? Is there no VF engineer willing to commnet on this thread?

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Crashmoe

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

The only way to mange this is to get onto VF level 2, request / instruct a BT level 2 fibre engineer to come out and reset the line.  However, the long term prognosis is not good, have managed to get them out three times now,  each time it goes back down.  It is either the router firmware or the DLM, or a combination of both, one you have elimianted the wiring, (either in the house or outside to the cabinet), then these are the only options available.

@Crashmoe wrote:

The only way to mange this is to get onto VF level 2, request / instruct a BT level 2 fibre engineer to come out and reset the line.  However, the long term prognosis is not good, have managed to get them out three times now,  each time it goes back down.  It is either the router firmware or the DLM, or a combination of both, one you have elimianted the wiring, (either in the house or outside to the cabinet), then these are the only options available.

What a few of us on here are doing is opening a complaint with vodafone which there policy is to confirm in 48 hours and get a solution to fix we are leaving the complaints open and not agreeing to close them till your broadband issue is fixed if it isnt fixed in 8 weeks escalate it to the communications ombudsmen  they will soon start doing something when they get involved as if they get loads of complaints they could be hit with fines....

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Crashmoe

I've previously given you information on how to contact out team directly.

Please get in touch, so we can look into this with you.