Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital Voice

gary_were
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My broadband contract was due to expire yesterday (26 Jan) so I renewed on 11 Jan. My mobile contract is also linked and I got a better deal on this too. Great! Not great! What they didn't tell me at the time was that my landline phone would be switched to Digital Voice and would have to be plugged into the back of the router which is in my home office. But we have 2 other extensions which we need but which cannot be connected to the router, too far away (only 2 ports in the router anyway). After the switchover the 2 extensions no longer work and that's a real pain. You can buy WiFi handsets which will connect wirelessly to a router but these are not compatible with the VF router.

It seems that while VF is switching people to Digital Voice (we all have to switch by end 2025) they have not thought about what happens if you have more than one handset. How can a company like VF not prepare for this and leave people high and dry?

4 REPLIES 4

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You can connect a DECT phone base to the router and then the handsets can be wherever you like.

However it's also possible to connect your, now redundant, phone extension wiring to the router and continue to use the existing extensions.

You should be able to find instructions on the web, but here is a video to start:

(6) How to Connect Landline Phones / Extensions to VOIP on Fibre Internet - YouTube

Thanks for the reply Jayach. I did have a look at DECT phones as a possible solution, and as you say that might be the way to go. I'll take a look at the video too. Nevertheless, I still find it unacceptable that VF are dumping their customers into this situation without a solution provided by them.

Thanks again for your help.

Cynric

.@gary_were It may be that with the imminent demise of copper wire they are just being proactive.

Regular readers will understand that I am typing this while clearly intoxicated 😁

Jayach

I didn't notice, but that may be because so am I.