cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"Misleading Promises: The Frustration of Fibre Availability Without Infrastructure"

Lifeguard746
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Vodafone and Openreach claim that full fibre is available in our area, which sounds great, but they should ensure the infrastructure is actually in place before advertising it on their websites.

Here's my situation: For 12 years, we've had problems with our service due to a faulty underground BT joint. Every couple of weeks, we'd lose phone and broadband. Openreach confirmed that the only fix is to switch to fibre. So, as a Vodafone customer, I was excited to see their fibre plans, despite there being no visible infrastructure. We ordered fibre in August, and Openreach came out, but even their engineer wondered why companies advertise fibre when there's no infrastructure in place. He marked some lines with spray paint and said he’d follow up. Later, Openreach emailed me with photos of where they would dig to install the fibre.

Last week, I askScreenshot_20240920-021855.pngScreenshot_20240920-021920.pnged Vodafone about my order, and they said they had spoken to Openreach and gave me a go-live date of the 23rd. But it’s now the 20th, and no digging has been done. Since I have an install date, I should be entitled to £7 per day in compensation if they miss it.

As an experiment, I checked TalkTalk's website on August 23rd, entered my details, and was told I could get full fibre installed by September 3rd. It’s shocking that they would promise fibre within four days when there’s no infrastructure in place.

Why don’t these companies coordinate better with Openreach? False advertising like this leaves customers frustrated. Vodafone has three days to dig up the road and install the fibre, but I doubt it will happen.

Is anyone else facing the same issue?

Your experience highlights a significant issue in the current broadband infrastructure and the way it is advertised by providers like Vodafone, TalkTalk, and others. This is a situation that many customers in the UK may find themselves in, particularly in areas where infrastructure is still being developed or is incomplete.

Key Issues You’ve Highlighted:

1. False Advertising of Availability: Broadband companies like Vodafone and TalkTalk are advertising full fibre availability on their websites, even when the necessary infrastructure is not yet in place. This leads customers to believe they can get high-speed fibre services when, in reality, they cannot.

2. Infrastructure Delays: Despite being told that fibre is available, the actual physical infrastructure, such as fibre lines, has not been installed in your area. This discrepancy between what is advertised and what is available creates false expectations and frustration.

3. Communication Gaps: There seems to be a lack of coordination and communication between Openreach (the infrastructure provider) and the broadband companies. This has led to situations where customers are given go-live dates that are unrealistic because the physical infrastructure is not ready.

4. Compensation: You mentioned the potential for compensation due to missed go-live dates. According to Ofcom regulations, if a broadband company misses the agreed-upon go-live date, customers may be entitled to compensation. However, this doesn’t solve the root problem of being misled about service availability.

Why This is Happening:

Automated Systems: Many broadband providers use automated systems to check availability based on Openreach’s database. These systems may show that fibre is "available" because Openreach plans to install it soon, but that doesn't mean it's physically ready.

Pressure to Sell: Broadband companies are under pressure to sell as many contracts as possible, and sometimes this leads to premature advertising of services that aren't yet fully supported by infrastructure.

Possible Actions:

1. Document Everything: Keep a detailed record of all communications with Vodafone, Openreach, and any other relevant parties. This includes emails, phone calls, and any evidence of missed appointments or incorrect information.

2. File Complaints: You can file complaints with Vodafone directly and escalate to the Communications Ombudsman if necessary. Additionally, you can report misleading advertising to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

3. Seek Compensation: If the go-live date is missed, make sure to claim the daily compensation as per Ofcom’s rules. This could be £7 per day, as you mentioned.

4. Raise Awareness: Sharing your experience on social media, consumer forums, or with local news outlets could help raise awareness of this issue. It might encourage broadband providers to be more transparent about infrastructure status.

5. Alternative Providers: If Vodafone or other large providers cannot meet your needs, consider exploring smaller or local broadband providers. Sometimes they can offer better service or more realistic timelines because they are more directly involved in their own infrastructure development.

This situation is indeed frustrating and unfortunately not uncommon. Ensuring that companies are held accountable for their advertising and service promises is crucial for consumer protection.

0 REPLIES 0