Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Advice on compatible third party router

PS1965
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have come to the end of my tether with the vodafone router. Can anyone please advise of a third party one that will work? Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Are you FTTC or FTTP?

I'm still using my Netgear D7000. I originally got it for FTTC, but after my upgrade to FTTP it is still performing remarkably well. I'm actually quite proud of it. It's still on Openreach's approved list. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

It's still on Openreach's approved list. 

That list is pretty much out of date (AFAIK)

But yes you can use just about any router you want, but if on FTTC, it will need a VDSL modem (preferably internal, for ease of configuration)

Just get your PPPoE details from Vodafone via live chat: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Ripshod

@Jayach wrote:

I agree. But argumentative OR employees will still argue the point.

It does need updating.

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

I agree. But argumentative OR employees will still argue the point.

It does need updating.

As we aren't allowed to speak to Openreach, it really doesn't matter.

CrimsonLiar

I don't think OR have any intention of updating the list of approved devices - it's pretty much dead in the water now!

On FTTC. for myself, I'd still go with a separate modem and router, but would well recommend a device with a built-in modem for others!

The D7000 modem/router was good in it's day, but I'd say that it's coming to the end of it's usefulness as a main router - long term I'd trust the old Asus RT-AC68U (near as sausages the same hardware as the R7000) more than the later RT-AC86U (can alternatively be used as a mini room heater). 

Ripshod

I do have an Asus dsl-ac68u that I could easily set up. But to be honest, even though it's getting long in the tooth I like the D7000. With third party firmware it does everything I want and need, and just looks so good to me (so good I have a spare).

Each to their own.