Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Alternative to THG3000

dennispad
4: Newbie

I was thinking of replacing the modem. It's reach is good but it sits at the front of the house next to the socket and hence it can't reach into the garden at the back of the house. Can't move it more central as that would mean several own cables and the BT cable crossing a doorway. Tried a extender but that does do much. Though about a mesh system but that means another box next to the THG3000. Is there a WiFi 6 modem that is mesh capable for the future but for now would give better coverage than the THG3000 over Wifi 5?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are on Superfast 1 or 2 you need modem+router, they can be separate or a combo, though I've not come across any VDSL2 + WiFi6 single units yet.  So it's hard to see how you are going to get away from two boxes near the socket whether you go with your own router or just use a mesh system in place of the VF routers WiFi.

All I seem to see is mesh systems which need to plug into the THG3000. It's a shame that the THG3000 isn't mesh enabled. One thing I can't work out is if the THG3000 is any good. I am loosing 10 meg from the signal coming into the THG3000 to what speed is coming out. Tested by turning WiFi off and plugging my laptop in via Lan and testing the speed. Not sure if this is normal of if I plugged a better router into it I would get more but then how much more. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

WiFi is a big issue for many people.  WiFi is always going to be just a little slower than a wired connection into the router, and there'll usually be a tiny bit of extra latency too - but with decent WiFi, it really is very little.  You also have to consider that not all WiFi issues are down to the router.

I think it really comes down to the best solution for the tech-heads is going to a replacement modem+router.  However, if the router does not have you tearing your hair out because it's not doing things that you expect it to do, then just adding a Mesh system is probably the way to go!

It's the brand-new Vodafone THG3000 modem router. If I turn the WiFi off then the mesh will still only get the speed a Lan connection is getting. I'm loosing 10 meg from outside to the laptop over Lan 

Anonymous
Not applicable

As @Anonymous  has said @dennispad, It's not unusual to experience some loss of speed over Wi-fi. If you're looking into third-party routers and modems, let us know what you find and we'll let you know if it's compatible with our systems 👍

So not over WiFi, over Lan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Losing 10Mbps is high!  For comparison, if I kick EVERYTHING on the network here off, and SSH into the router to run a speed test directly on the router, I'm still only getting 46Mbps out of the 49Mbps sync rate (6% overhead).  The majority of that loss is probably down to the overheads involved with G.inp being enabled on the line.

So I personally don't really have a solution for you!  What I would say is that perceived differences between broadband suppliers are often greatly exaggerated...

Thanks for this. I contacted Asus and asked what they would expect from their modems and they said 1 or 2 meg drop. So I am loosing an additional 8 meg which I put down to the Vodafone modem. I probably need to get hold of another modem to test the theory. Can't complain about the line as I am getting 68 meg into the home and the max I can get is 70 meg. At the time of signing up I was told the max would be 63 meg. Also the VF modem does cover the whole house, it just can't get into the garden which is a shame. So do I stick with what I have or go for a third party modem and mesh system which would cost £300. 

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

IF you have an alternate telephone extension already in the house then it may be possible to make that a master socket and locate the router there.

https://www.mymatevince.com/

If in doubt please ask.