Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband pro use 4G bundle on a computer

Viciovbuk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have a broadband pro and I want to use my own Asus Rt-AC68 Router with it. I tried to put the 4G sim on a compatible stick and activated the dual wan on the router but I'm getting frequent disconnections. The Vodafone representative told me that I can't do that. Is it true?

Can I use the 4G stick that comes with the pro broadband on a computer in case the connection goes down? 

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's going to depend on how Vodafone have set up the 4G stick!  It's within their remit to limit it's use either through firmware or monitoring the use of the backup stick.

Can us use an open 4G/5G modem with the RT-AC86U, yup sure you can, I've done it!

I would be very wary though that by using this equipment in this manner you could be in danger of breaching the Terms of Service.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you are taking about the 4G backup sim that comes with Pro, I don't understand why you would not use it in its own adapter.

The problem is it is a backup sim and apparently comes with 50GB pre-loaded and Vodafone can increase that as required,

However if your line hasn't failed there is no reason why they would do so.

So as @KeithAlger says, you are trying to break the TOS.

If you just want to use it as an emergency backup, should the line fail, that may be acceptable but it is obviously supplied for use in the THG3000.

I can't use the stick I get from Vodafone because it's not compatible with the Asus router. I tried to use a different stick (same brand Huawei) that is compatible but it doesn't work properly. 

That's why I'm wondering if I can use it on my PC in case the broadband goes down

Jayach

Other people have used it in a PC and it does work, so using it that way. should the line fail, may be considered acceptable. 

Edit: However if the line fails it would probably be better to power up the THG3000 with it in and use it in the manner for which it is supplied.

CrimsonLiar

I can personally guarantee that Huawei 4G USB modems can be plugged into and will work with an Asus RT-AC86U.  The set up is a complete PTIA but it's doable!  

Depends which huawei model you get. I have the K5161h that's not recognised by my asus router