Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

CityFiber vs Openreach 2.2GB

billhinge
10: Established
10: Established

Lol typical, after years waiting for FTTP, 2 buses arrive at the same time. I had Openreach (overhead) PRO II FTTP as soon as it was announced in my area a couple of months back but just had a letter through letterbox saying CityFiber will be laying cable under the pavement in the next 10 days. From the website they claim 2.5Gb whereas I'm on 900mb. Would that imply Openreach may go to 2.2G in the near future  or is that only on CityFiber?

The Vodafone product site says the PRO II is 2.2Gb - I would be annoyed if my neighbours got twice the speed for the same price as me 😂

5 REPLIES 5

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Openreach won't be going there for a while yet. However, if you're in the right area, Vodafone already have 1.6, 1.8 and 2.2Gb available via Cityfibre. Cityfibre are still running out XGS-PON to other areas, but they're getting there at a superfast rate as it's simply a case of swapping equipment out - the infrastructure is already there. 

Super, will Vodafone just swap ONT's?

Ripshod

They're already future-proofing. The standard Nokia ONT's we're fitting now are 5Gb. As to your question - yes, a quick engineer visit. 

Cynric

@Ripshod Who wants 5GBb/s outside of industry? As I'm still on FTTC I'd rather some effort on getting to FTTP. 

k1aska
1: Seeker

Openreach are preparing a 1.2G product so I'd expect VM to retaliate by offering at least 1.5.

Really I just want uploads sorting. 50Mb is not enough. When Openreach finally go live with FTTP here I'll be leaving for that reason. 70Mb up on 500 or 120Mb up on 1 Gig is so much better than what VM offer.