Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I am getting packet loss whilst playing games and I dont know why

JohnK19
2: Seeker

As the title says, I am getting huge packet loss and I dont know why. (I just made a post on this and it was deleted and marked as spam....)

I've tried rebooting everything, Refreshing my Fibre IP. Restarting my PC. Nothing helps and it has been persistent for hours.

Can anyone help?

packetloss.png

31 REPLIES 31

Vodafone reply: Actually we are aware that there's an issue with the servers at the moment, and it's announced on down detectors, the servers are not able to route our ip address yes, however they are working on it from their end as the announced issue is from their end, it's a server issue not actually the network.
However as a work around you can connect it through a VPN temporarily as it's stable using a vpn till the issue from their end is resolved.

If you run a trace to OpenDNS:

Currently going via LonAP and seeing the same issue - blows the 'It's Blizzard servers fault' out of the water.

Sadly, Vodafone telephone support lie. A lot. About things they don't truly understand.

Just flipped over to LINX again, issue then subsides:

3. gi0-2.rtr1.lon.opendns.com 0.0% 49 9.9 10.1 8.7 20.8 1.7
4. familyshield.opendns.com 0.0% 49 9.8 9.5 8.6 10.1 0.4

Back to LonAP, problem is back:

3. AS??? lonap.rtr1.lon.opendns. 23.1% 26 9.6 11.6 8.6 27.8 4.6
4. AS36692 familyshield.opendns.co 11.5% 26 9.7 9.3 8.3 10.0 0.5

SebF

I've resorted to NordVPN for now.

jdvega
4: Newbie

For the last 5 minutes, the issue has subsided for me - it looks like the backbone team have possibly made some changes.  I had a reply from the Global Vodafone NOC, escalating to the UK IP team.

Routing into the Vodafone network via LonAP is now going via a different interface on their end:

be111.sqyn02-igw-a1.vodafone.net

Outbound routes TO Blizzard from Vodafone, are now going via Level3 transit.

Assuming the 'fix' holds, I suspect my earlier thoughts are not far off - Blizzard got DDoSed, shut down some links, this caused Vodafones LonAP ports to saturate with traffic, until Vodafone changed the route preference for Blizzard to go via Level3 transit instead of LonAP. Freeing up some capacity on the LonAP ports again. Knock on effects.

jdvega

Problem is back again, as of 15:05 GMT+0

Inbound route to the Vodafone LonAP network now via:

3. AS??? be201.sqyn02-igw-a1.vodafone.co.uk 0.0% 4 1.0 1.1 1.0 1.2 0.1

Outbound TO Blizzard, is now back via LonAP again.

Packet loss and instability is back again - suspect this adds weight to Vodafones LonAP ports getting nailed, by Blizzard traffic.

jdvega, I think Vodafone should probably fire half their team and hire you instead....

I politely decline 😉

jdvega

Everything seems to be back, via LonAP - Blizzard, my work connections, OpenDNS, the lot.

No packet loss currently. Fingers crossed they got to the bottom of it.