Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mesh not working

Rokmunky
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I have the THG3000 router with a TPLink RE220 extender which worked perfectly when I bought it a couple of months ago. Recently I have changed the WiFi password and now the extender cant set up a mesh as it says the router does not support it. I have reset the extender multiple times and cant get a mesh network created.

Is there a setting on the router I have inadvertently changed or has the router got a fault?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Rokmunky Have you tried; using WPS or factory resetting the router?

Yep, tried both of those. The TPLink connects and repeats the Wi-Fi but as a different network name. Netflix for example wont work as the basic subscription wont allow a device on a different network.

Ripshod

As far as I'm aware there are no third party devices that will mesh with the thg3000. Are you sure it wasn't just set up as an Access Point?

Dont know, how would I tell? And if it was that then how do I set it up like that again as that seemed to work as I needed. Just one network that extended to the end of the garden so everything synced up.

Ripshod

You need to connect to the AP and login to the gui. If it's connected to the router by cable you need AP mode. If it's connected by WiFi you need repeater/extender mode. I haven't had a tp-link device for a while so I can't guide you through the menus. The manual should show you.

Gotcha, def needs to be connected by WiFi and it was initially. No idea why it stopped working correctly just cos I changed the WiFi password. Maybe time to invest in a better router.

Ripshod

"just cos I changed the WiFi password"

Did you change the password on the TP-Link too, or otherwise reconnect it?

Yeah, reset it multiple times trying WPS and password and each time it connected ok but wouldnt 'mesh'

Jayach

@Rokmunky 

The THG3000 doesn't "mesh" with anything, it simply doesn't have that ability.

From what you say, you need to be using the TP-Link in extender mode.

Out of interest, have you tried resetting the THG3000 back to factory defaults, or at least resetting the Wi-Fi password you changed, and see if it works then?