cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New devices not connecting to broadband - old ones do!

AlexRoss64
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi folks,

Hope this is the right board but it's an odd issue.

Basically at some point new devices have stopped connecting to our broadband and I'm not sure when. It 'could' be when I upgraded it to 70gb from 25gb or whatever it was before.

Essentially all the devices that have previously connected to the broadband, such as the Xbox, tablets, mobiles, laptops, all still work and work fine.

But we noticed when we got a new Kindle it wouldn't connect, but did tethered off my phone. I presumed it was the Kindle and then someone brought a tablet round and the same thing happened. Then I bought an MP3 player and that would only tether as well. They all connect to wifi and broadband elsewhere, just not ours.

Nonetheless, I'm writing this message on a Surface Pro 4 connected to our home broadband!
I've turned it off and on again, and pressed the reset button, but it still won't work.

For the MP3 player, when it tries to connect it says 'Obtaining IP address...' but doesn't.

Given it works I'm guessing it's a relatively simple fix but I can't find any similar question on this board or using the chatbot or web searches.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I would say a factory reset of the router will definitely be the next thing to do. I'm pretty confident that will cure it.

If you haven't changed the default router and wi-fi passwords everything should connect fine.

The DHCP table is held in the router so it will be cleared and will start again.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

Jayach

I would say a factory reset of the router will definitely be the next thing to do. I'm pretty confident that will cure it.

If you haven't changed the default router and wi-fi passwords everything should connect fine.

The DHCP table is held in the router so it will be cleared and will start again.

So I did a reset...and it seems to have worked! My MP3 player immediately connected automatically, then the internet stopped working! I restarted the router and then it all started working again so I'll test the other devices that couldn't connect but at the moment the MP3 player is connected and updating and all my original devices are too.

Thanks so much for all your help, it's very much appreciated.