cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Openreach master Socket exists - will drilling be required?

AHM3DS
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I’ve registered Vodafone full-fibre 500 broadband. I don’t have any phone-line/landline so new phone line is required. They’ve booked an engineer appointment and said that drilling might be required. But I already have an Openreach master socket (single port) in my house and Vodafone provided the micro-filter with the broadband. Will drilling still be required or I just need to connect the micro-filter to the master socket and connect the internet cable to the router?

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you are getting Full Fibre a new box will be fitted to the wall. (it's called an ONT (Optical Network Terminator))

So yes, probably, some drilling will be required. 

image.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. But here’s the socket that I have

image.jpg

 And there’s like a big cable coming through the front-door

Jayach

@AHM3DS 

Unfortunately pictures take ages to be moderated on here, so we probably won't be able to see your pictures until tomorrow.,

Hi,

We have Openreach Master Socket 5C in our house, that was the picture of that.

Ripshod

A new hole will have to be drilled for the fibre. Engineers have enough on doing the installs, they don't have time to decommission and remove the copper (it's also out of their remit). Besides, the fibre with it's kevlar sheath and it's outer coating needs a clean hole to go through without damage. 

Jayach

You will not be using the master socket or the filter, you will need a fibre connected box (the ONT) and that has to get into the house somehow. Occasionally they can use the same route as the telephone cable, but it's not likely.

CrimsonLiar

If you have a phone master socket the only time there will not be drilling is if there is already suitable conduit in place.  The same engineer managed to thread my neighbour's cable through the conduit and fitted the ONT over the backbox for their old master socket, but couldn't manage the same for ours thanks to too many tight 90 degrees turns (with badly fitted rigid junctions) in the conduit (couldn't even get his inspection camera around the corners).
It can be done - I'm still puzzled at how little mess the engineer made, I wish my DIY was that neat!