Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP/Digital landline migration

A65Firebird
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello 

I'm shortly due to have my Vodafone landline migrated to a SOGEA Fibre 1 connection which means that my current landline supplied via overhead Dropwire will migrate to be ported onto VoIP. I've received the RJ11 to BT female adapter and it should be plugged into the T1 outlet on the router.

This is only happening due to a noisy line that Vodafone are unable to fix after requesting on several occasions that Openreach will be needed and dealing with complete exhaustion over a number of times and weeks etc with the foreign helpdesk support staff, who are extremely polite and helpful but simply lack the knowledge to understand the UK telephone network. This is even more frustrating in that my Vodafone mobile phone is in a poor coverage area, hence the reason for the landline. 

I have a number of questions to ask please. 

1).  The router is currently at one end of the property away from where the landline is situated. This Vodafone supplied router has two Telephone ports. Would I be correct in thinking that only one port is used unless I requested a second separate landline telephone number?.

2)  Does the RJ11 adapter come supplied with a capacitor built into it so that the phones ring?. The reason being is that I have a few phones in the house and as the router is not, e.g in the living room, that I'll need to think how I will link them all up. My initial thoughts are to remove all my internal wiring from the demarcation point on BT's Master socket and fit alongside a LJ 3/1A that is BT's name for a larger extension socket that doesn't have any built-in capacitor. This would be done for neatness and then all I need to do is to link this socket with the Vodafone router using a short length of Telephone lead cable that has a single BT male plug at each end so that the three wires required to make it work and ring are passed through from the router and the only wire left in the BT Master socket will be the DSL router cable as my BT socket is the combined DSL and phone one.

3) Once I've migrated over to VoIP, can I still use for example a FAX or Modem etc?. This is just a "nice to know" query.

One other non essential query is if we can purchase a blank plate, so that my BT Master socket only has a DSL outlet?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Cynric wrote:
if you are taking the phone signal off of the back of the router it will not drive any extension over internal wiring. 

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your comment, but the TEL port(s) can certainly drive the extension wiring, if connected as @A65Firebird suggests.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach

@A65Firebird wrote:
I'm shortly due to have my Vodafone landline migrated to a SOGEA Fibre 1 connection which means that my current landline supplied via overhead Dropwire will migrate to be ported onto VoIP. I've received the RJ11 to BT female adapter and it should be plugged into the T1 outlet on the router.

This is only happening due to a noisy line that Vodafone are unable to fix after requesting on several occasions that Openreach will be needed

If you are going to Fibre 1 with SOGEA, you will be using exactly the same copper wire as now, so if that has a fault it will still exist.

Was the noisy line not affecting your broadband?

Did you ever test with the phone in the test socket, in case the problem is at your end?

@A65Firebird wrote:
1).  The router is currently at one end of the property away from where the landline is situated. This Vodafone supplied router has two Telephone ports. Would I be correct in thinking that only one port is used unless I requested a second separate landline telephone number?.

Both ports will be active, there is no option to be able to have a second phone number.

@A65Firebird wrote:
2)  Does the RJ11 adapter come supplied with a capacitor built into it so that the phones ring?.

It certainly should, but if it doesn't you can always use a DSL filter to provide it

@A65Firebird wrote:
3) Once I've migrated over to VoIP, can I still use for example a FAX or Modem etc?. This is just a "nice to know" query.

Absolutely not.

@A65Firebird wrote:
One other non essential query is if we can purchase a blank plate, so that my BT Master socket only has a DSL outlet?.

I don't believe such a thing exists. (but there may be)

Hello Jayach

Many thanks for the quick response to my queries today. Your answers were what I was expecting. 

Your first one regarding the noisy line is interesting as I had dialed 17070 option 2 for a quiet line test and kept hearing the "Fried egg" crackling sound which was intermittent and almost always bad in wet weather which didn't have an adverse effect on my broadband. However, I was told by Vodafone support that my line quality would improve which I also was very sceptical about.

I've already ordered another RJ45 to BT female plug adapter and I'll use it in the second Telephone port slot, now that I know it will give out the same dial tone. Thanks for informing me.

Thanks for letting me know that the adapter contains the "ringing" capacitor and not within the router's Telephone ports. 

I didn't think that a FAX or Modem would function on a VoIP circuit via an adapter. 

I will ask a few Openreach engineers if a blanking plate exists. 

Cynric

@A65Firebird BSA owner by any chance?

Anyway back to your question; if you are taking the phone signal off of the back of the router it will not drive any extension over internal wiring. If you have additional phones it's probably best to use a DECT base station connected to the router.

Oh "Yes" Cynric. 1971

Cynric

@A65Firebird  Splendid. 

1963 Norton, 1998 Triumph & 2016 Suzuki 😁

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:
if you are taking the phone signal off of the back of the router it will not drive any extension over internal wiring. 

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your comment, but the TEL port(s) can certainly drive the extension wiring, if connected as @A65Firebird suggests.

Cynric

@Jayach I have a memory of someone else being told that may not be so. But I usually do say "may" when I'm not on sure ground.

Stumpy21
4: Newbie

My HP Officejet receives FAX messages Via VOIP OK through a Grandstream ATA via a Sipgate connection. However I had to disable error correction and lower the baud rate using trial and error. There is information available if you do a search for it.

Unable to test using the Vodafone router connection as not active yet.

Thinking about it I doubt FAX will work using the Vodafone router as it probably uses compression (?)  and I had to select an uncompressed codec on the Grandstream.