Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router, Extenders, Apple ... and general outages

TheJasonHearne
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Afternoon all

New to Voda broadband, prev Sky for 15 years, and have been having a nightmate. 

First four days zero service due to an Openzone error, then completely stable and flawless for two days, then last night it went down and since then I have a really unusual issue. 

I've tried speaking to second line support but they were pretty unhelpful.  Usual turn it off and on / check the cables nonsense. 

Here's what's happening when connected to the main router : 

Sky Stream Puck : working via ethernet 

Fire TV Cube : working via WiFi 

Hue hub : working via ethernet 

Ring Doorbell : offline via WiFi

iPhone 13 Pro : no internet via WiFi

Lenovo Win 10 laptop : no internet via WiFi

Here's where it gets odd ... if I connect those failing items to a WiFi extender (via WiFi - not wired) with a different SSID then they have good internet access, if I replicate the SSID (essentially creating a mesh) then they fail.  

Question is why would I have no internet when connected directly to the router but I do have internet when connected to an extension?  

MAC filtering was off in my router settings by default and I have left this off.  I raise only as I've read other similar issues created by security settings not talking well with the router MAC filtering.  

The Firewall on the router is currently turned on but I have a feeling it may be that turning this off is going to be the solution to this odd problem. 

Any help appreciated.  I have about 48 hours before I need to make a decision and cancel or stick with this service.  

10 REPLIES 10

Another thing to try is to have your devices "forget" the connection and then re-connect - even if it's using a QR code from an already connected device.

As for the Ring doorbell, they are evil devices - I really hate them if you cant tell!