Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG 3000 Lite / Lack of VPN?

Br04dB4ndAl
4: Newbie

Hi,

I just received my new THG 3000 Router  following an upgrade but notriced on the order paperwork it's designated "Lite".

Does this mean there are versions and I've received the cheaper one?

Also, why is it run by Vodafone Firmware? I understaood this was supposed to be a highly capable top of the line Router yet it doesn't even have a built in VPN  - essential for security cameras to avoid being hacked ( the alternative is to port forward which = free hacking for everyone on your network and botted cameras).

Given the prevalence of CCTV cameras these days in people's home, you'd have though that Vodafone would have included a VPN facility in their router (I'm gueessing the aprent router it's based on has one), unless of course there is a non "Lite" version and I got the crappy one.

51 REPLIES 51

Cynric
16: Advanced member

The THG3000 router has below average performance and VF have restricted what settings can be changed manually in favour of automation.

Have a browse around the forum and you can find several threads on issues with the router.

Thanks for the reply. Vodafone Customer Services claim it is high performance over the phone

When it 1st came out, it was supposed to have been twice as fast as the previous router.

Also, disappointing to see 1 x 1GB port only.

Vodafone need to look at their policy of removing the standard firmware because CCTV cameras are very prevalent in homes now and a router VPN is necessary to maintain network security. Any user port forwarding, which is the only option if the router doesn't include a VPN, is guaranteeing the network will be hacked and often within minutes of 1st connection.

If Vodafone want to make an eay to use version why not have the standard settings on their interface and the Advanced on the manufacturers full router interface?

It really makes no sense to give customers a router without a VPN, a router that's slow and problematic - as the cost of servicing all the complaints and losing customers far exceeds the cost of a more expensive competent router. If you're tying people in on 24 month contracts then surely you can afford to provide a quality router.

Jayach

@Br04dB4ndAl wrote:

Hi,

I just received my new THG 3000 Router  following an upgrade but notriced on the order paperwork it's designated "Lite".

Never heard of a "Lite", perhaps that is to differentiate broadband Pro from the non-Pro?

Also, why is it run by Vodafone Firmware? 

Because it's a Vodafone router and they want control over every aspect of it.
Given the prevalence of CCTV cameras these days in people's home, you'd have though that Vodafone would have included a VPN facility in their router (I'm gueessing the aprent router it's based on has one), 

It's based on a Tecnicolor DGA4231, and no that doesn't have VPN and nor do most "built to a price" routers.

@Br04dB4ndAl wrote:

Also, disappointing to see 1 x 1GB port only.

It yours has that, It's definitely not a THG3000, can we see a picture? (best to add it as a attachment so it doesn't have to wait an age to be moderated)

gipjon

this is new not heard of this before thg3000 lite, the normally thg3000 has 4 yellow ports on the back 

Cynric

I still have the packing note that came with my THG3000. It says "THG3000 Lite" but my one has four 1Gb ports, so I think I'd also like to see a picture.

gipjon

i have a feeling that its the normal router and I am guessing they are thinking the blue socket is the 1Gb socket (the 4 yellow sockets are all 1Gb ports )

Jayach

I suspected the same, that why I asked for a picture to be sure.

The "Lite" is on the delivery note rather than the router itself.

As for the rear, not sure, will get a photo. However, in the web interface (I have 2 LAN wires plugged in), 1 says 1gb the other 100mb suggesting not all the ports are 1gb.

So far as built to a price is concerned, yes and no. I'm guessing this is a standard router flashed with Vodafone's software which may or may not deny access to seem features. I think someone elswhere mentioned about Vodafone installing their firmware to keep the interface simple.

Not having a VPN is ludicris these days given the prevalence of home CCTV.

2 Very Public examples of non VPN's CCTV getting hacked - one at a hackers conference (White hackers - Black Hat) showing how it's done, the other in a recent news report showing how people are hacking CCTV and spying on people's lives and inside their homes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Ys_BOr9tM&t=33s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaI0xjeefpg

gipjon

If its a secondary skyQ box they will only connect at 100mb.  main skyQ will connect at 1000Mb . So the story here is

A: the cable is only cat5 100Mb or

B: the connecting device showing 100Mb will only be able to connect at 100Mb 

All 4 yellow ports are 1000meg on the thg3000