Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using landline with own router? (FTTP)

ryouga
3: Seeker

Got activated last week and already own a AC88U I used in modem mode with Virgin,

I was happy when I realised I can use my own router with Vodafone but then realised when disconnecting old router that it has no slot for the phone line.

Reading online I believe the Vodafone router cannot be used in modem mode, but is there a way to use it as a switch and/or voip device? As if it can be used as a switch I can place it where the old router is and that way have a spare socket where current router is (already short on sockets even using extension)

I rarely use the landline anymore but I prefer it than a mobile as it means I don't have to keep it charged and means family who still have landlines that have included minutes can ring me.

So is there a way?

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

At the moment the consensus is that, no, you can't use the Vodafone router just to provide the VoIP behind another router.

You can, however, use the Vodafone voice service with another device from the Grandstream range.

There is a thread all about it, but it's a bit long and ignore the first few pages as they are from before someone figured out how to do it.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/td-p/2709457

ryouga

That looks complicated, is there a short answer i.e you say use another device, is that one that can plug into router? Then just a dd the settings.

Or do you mean a "router" from the grandstream range.

Jayach

@ryouga wrote:
 Or do you mean a "router" from the grandstream range.

I mean an ATA (analog telephone adapter) or VoIP phone from the Grandstream range.

And yes, VoIP is complicated to those who don't understand it. (but then. isn't everything?)

And I certainly don't really understand all the terminology around VoIP.

Yes I used voip many years ago back when some websites like Ebay needed a landline to sign up so I used a free service back then and got the call, then stopped when the service became paid.

I already have my username and password so I guess its just a case of that and the server details I am looking at the thread but its all over the place so will understand it soon.

Jayach

A couple of the posters on that thread are very good with VoIP, so ask there if you have any specific queries.