Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband Connect to 3rd party Router in another room

Rincewindwiz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All

Im thinking of getting vodafone broadband (Fibre 2) but I need a way of using my existing router (Archer 1900) because I have some slightly non-standard requirements (It runs a web app via remote desktop).

Vodafone tell me

1. their router must be attached to the master socket (My current router attaches to BT Fibre 2 via an extension phone socket in an upstairs room.) WHy is vodafone different?

2. I can link my router to the Vodafone router using the WAN socket but that means I would have to run an ethernet cable from the master socket downstairs to my existing router (uptairs)
I seem to remember having this problem when I reearched Virgin Media routers and was told I can arrange for the virgin media router to act as a sort of modem  (I was never clear on the details) Can I do this with vodafone? and if so how?

So please others out there must have faced this problem, what is the best way to connect my router (TP-link Archer 1900) in an upstairs room to a vodafone router connected to a master socket downstairs

Thanks in advance for any answers

2 REPLIES 2

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Rincewindwiz It's VF sticking to a script.

1. Try it out and see what happens.

2. If you link two routers you can end up using double NAT. If you have non-standard requirements it may be a bother.

You don't have to run ethernet. You could use powerline adapters to run the network over the mains wiring. I have this at home and I'm happy with it, but other people in this forum are not fans of the technology.

Ripshod

We're no longer installing fttc. If that's the policy across openreach I don't know. Obviously if there's no fibre provision in your area there's no alternative. If you know a good electrician they could easily make you a modem lead using one pair of a cat5e cable to rj11 plugs.

To answer question #1 directly, there is no difference. But like I suggested, better cat5e than telephone cable.