Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Fibre router - very slow/buggy interface

60six
3: Seeker

Hi

Been a vodafone fibre customer for 6 months and very happy with the service, however the router supplied - although giving a reliable and stable output, is very difficult near impossible to change the settings. Even a simple static DHCP device addition can take nearly a minute to add after clicking apply, and sometimes it times out and sends me back to login page. The interface does not display all the pages correctly and instead views a blank page. Only clicking refresh wakes it up but then it times out and sends me back to the login page. Very frustrating as I can't turn off uPNP or add firewall rules.

I have reset to defaults multiple times but the interface still refuses to respond to any settings change in a suitable amount of time until it times out and back to login.

Another larger issue is the router insistance on placing the word 'broadband' as my internal DNS suffix which is too long and cumbersome for me to use. Can this be changed?

I understand you have released another router for newer broadband customers. Is this something I can upgrade to?

11 REPLIES 11

My experience is different. I do agree that the lack of configuration capability is annoying if you want to do non basic things. However I must be lucky as I get 950 average download, good wifi at 2400 mbs (M2 macbook pro) connected to Vodafone_premium, other devices connect to Vodafone, good VOIP and the boosters work. Hence I'll leave it alone and live with the limitation unless it breaks. So it 'can' work and do what it was designed to do but I don't doubt some may have issues with it

In the past I've had Draytek, Fortiguard, Enterprise, Asus, TP_Link routers and TBH embarrassingly the Vodafone UltraHub is by far the best I've had in terms of internet download speed and wifi speed & connectivity (I do have a Mikrotik router/switch attached to a Lan port as well). I would be happier if the SFP+ port worked

60six

I have been with a few providers over the years and I am still amazed that only one supplied a well made and efficient router. I am happy with the quality of the fibre connection and it's reliable, but I will go down the freshtomato route with a compatible router, and as much as I want to buy a new PI, they are priced far too closely to a cheap NUC which could run the Pi-Hole ...

Sounds like an upgrade is going out of the frying pan and into the fire - thanks for the info.  Years ago I had a BT homehub which was incompatible with my MacBook, and I don't want to go through that again!