Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone WiFi hub issue: dropping out

Dany07rap
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all,

Since I been with Vodafone, Fttp 500, almost a year, only problems I had, most of the problems were disconnections and WiFi speeds. So, after 1 month, I bought a Google nest WiFi router and used it to replace the Vodafone WiFi hub, as in less than 1 month ,the Vodafone WiFi hub just keeps dropping out, plus my wife, who works from home keeps complaining about disconnections, couldn't access the work server, saving her documents on work server. Customer service tried to find and fix the problems, with no results. All good with the speeds, connection and coverage with Google nest WiFi.Recently I upgraded to Fttp 900 and I said to use again the Vodafone WiFi hub, as Google nest WiFi couldn't manage speeds over 600 mbps, plus the upload was almost half from the contract (Openreach network). Since I put the Vodafone hub back, the problems started again: keeps dropping out, even worst, I couldn't see a movie on Netflix or Disney plus on TV. Contacted customer service again, raised to 2nd team, openreach engineer come and checked the line, the line is very good. Contacted again customer service after visit, explained again the problem, tried factory reset, firmware update etc. , same problems. Last week,the router couldn't allowed to connect to WiFi at least 2 mobile devices ( mobile phone and a tablet) "unable to provide IP address", which previous day were worked fine. Called again customer service, same stuff, factory reset, firmware update, unplug from the power socket etc. They tried again to fix the dropping out and the WiFi connection with mobile devices. After couple restarts, the WiFi connection was fine, but the problem with dropping out still exists. So, finally I bought another router, Tp-link AX55 and I don't regret. All devices are connected, great WiFi speed (900down/110up see picture), no more dropping out.Verdict: Vodafone WiFi hub isn't good for full fiber. I'll put a picture with speed test with Vodafone WiFi hub(600down/107up) same device,same distance from the router.

Screenshot_20231002-172830.png

Screenshot_20231002-172646.png

5 REPLIES 5

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Dany07rap  While we are waiting for the moderator to approve your images it may be worth your time searching in this forum as some of the things that you mention have been discussed before.

I already searched, the forum, I noticed same problems, but I didn't see a solution for my problems. In my situation, the problems were caused by the Vodafone WiFi hub and I explained to customer service were is the problem, but they didn't want to listen, they keep repeating the steps from the beginning: firmware update, factory reset from back of the router, double check if are any problems with the the BT exchange, no solution. I didn't mention, even on WhatsApp video call I had issues like people couldn't hear me clear as the connection keeps dropping out, I was forced to used mobile data for it, my wife couldn't work online and couldn't stay connected during the conference call, she was as well forced to use mobile phone as a hotspot. Customer service keeps saying isn't the router. I can attach the event logs from the last 2 weeks to see .

VishalRed
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I had got exact same issues and i was fed up.WFH some times get so frustrating.I have spoken to Vodafone so many times they have tried there usual stuff, it works for a while and back to normal again.

I am an IT Guy myself but dont have time to spend so much time all the time, you just want a reliable internet. My contract coming to end next month and i was prepared to cancel but this time i took it to myself to see if i can fix it as i have to work from home a lot.

So finally i got my self an access point, connected to Vodafone router via ethernet and configured. This has done the job. Not a single drop out since then. I have monitored it and all good now. So i am happy with this setup. Hence proves Vodafone Router is not the great one although i got myself high level router from vodafone.

Ripshod

I question how many devices can be handled by the router's dhcp. With many devices randomising MACs these days, both iOS and Android especially, it's a reasonable assumption to blame dhcp. However all my Android devices are set to use their real MAC on my home network - I never came across the limit myself. But I've been using my own router for so long now I'd totally forgotten about it til I read this thread. 

Cynric

It may be the lease cache. I bet it's either no adjustable or easily overlooked. Set the lease expiry to 18 hours and see if that helps.