Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Which router should I have?

Arw48
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have recently renewed my broadband contract with Vodafone to pro 500mb. I’ve got an old grey router and have been sent a similar looking grey wifi extender and mobile backup dongle. I was under the impression I would be getting the super wifi6 hub. I queried this and was told I already had the latest router. Is this correct? The router I have only supports wifi5. 

6 REPLIES 6

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Arw48 According to the WiFi 5 standard the maximum bit rate is 6933 Mb/s. This, theoretically, exceeds your requirements.

Is wifi 6 better for range? , I live in an old Victorian house with solid walls and getting pretty awful signal in the rooms I actually need the wifi in

Cynric

@Arw48 It does rather depend on what the walls are made of. Victorian brick is a dense material. You may do well to get a signal strength app on a mobile device and survey the house to see if there's an optimal layout of router and boosters.

An alternative, which is dependant on the house wiring, is to get a powerline WiFi AP. 

Jayach

There is no pro broadband anymore.

It's either Pro II or standard broadband, See this page for the different routers supplied.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/pro-ii

So you should either get the Power Hub (standard) or the Ultra Hub (Pro II).

I don't believe anyone should be getting the THG3000, which is what you seem to be describing.

You say you renewed recently, how long ago is recently?

Yes, the THG3000 is the router I have. I signed up to another contract with Vodafone for pro broadband (assuming it mean II) (already been with them for 3 years)  I was expecting to receive a new ultra hub, however all I got was a range extender (which looks like a smaller THG3000) and a dongle for internet back up. I queried this with the online chat team and was told I didn’t need a new router as I already had the latest one? Surely this can’t be right, if I’ve signed up for pro broadband, I should receive the ultra hub?

my new broadband was installed Monday. So the contract has only just started 

Jayach

@Arw48 wrote:

Yes, the THG3000 is the router I have. I signed up to another contract with Vodafone for pro broadband (assuming it mean II) (already been with them for 3 years)  I was expecting to receive a new ultra hub, however all I got was a range extender (which looks like a smaller THG3000) and a dongle for internet back up. I queried this with the online chat team and was told I didn’t need a new router as I already had the latest one? Surely this can’t be right, if I’ve signed up for pro broadband, I should receive the ultra hub?

my new broadband was installed Monday. So the contract has only just started 

It does sound like they have put you on the old Pro contract, which isn't available to new customers any more, as the difference between the old standard contract and the Pro was the extender and USB dongle backup.

I would ask them just what contract they have put you on, and ask why you are not getting the the now standard power hub, as you have started a new contract.