Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

changing router

57western
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I would like some help with changing my vodafone router. I have a landline for incoming calls only. I have a netgear Mk1 nighthawk router. Firstly do I need to replkace the sim card in the netgear router and if so with what.

If I dont need to replace the sim how do I connect the netgear router up to the internet connection I have with

vodafone. There is a good explanation I have read elsewhere but vodafone have changed all there websites and

getting access to the vodafone router is not easy. Any help would be appreciated

9 REPLIES 9

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I'm a bit confused by your query.

You have posted in the Home broadband forum, but are using mobile broadband at the moment? is that right?

But you have a Vodafone landline and want to use that for broadband?

Is that correct?

Sorry for the confusion.I have vodafone home broadband installed quite recently.  I picked up the netgear router for a v.good price. I have problems in my house with the broadband. It frequently drops out even with vodafone and the signal strength is only 'fair' even though other connections which are shown on my connection list have stronger signald. I really just want to improve the strength of the signal to stop the drop outs. I thought the netgear router would help as it has a good review

I don't use mobile broadband or want it. I just want a stronger more treliable signal. 

Also I should add that I have a landline but vodafone advised that I didnt need it for outgoing calls so it stopped that part of the connection. I still can receive incoming calls but they are few and far between so  I am happy with vodafones advice. We don't have fibre - but we have fibre to a cabinet on the estate where I live but the connection to my house is by the old BGT copper wire. It is not known when we get fibre as city fibre have had problems in my area.

Jayach

O.K. so you have standard FTTC Vodafone broadband, presumably using the THG3000 router. (I'll ignore the telephone comments, as I didn't really understand them, but they don't seem relevant)

You say the broadband drops out, and go on to say the Wi-Fi strength is only "fair" so I assume by "drops out" you mean it loses Wi-Fi connection rather than the actual broadband connection failing.

So you are hoping to use the Netgear as an access point to take advantage of it's (hopefully) stronger Wi-Fi.

If you google "use old router as an access point" you will find lots of advice, but possibly not specific to that router.

Basically it involves turning off all router functions in the router and connecting the 2 routers LAN to LAN.

Don't know if this Netgear page will help.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? - NETGEAR Support

Ripshod

What's the specific model of the netgear router printed on the label. mk1 isn't a model.

Netgear Nighthawk router's generally have a built-in access point mode so find that, activate it, and connect the Netgear's wan to any lan port on the vodafone router. 

Jayach

As the OP mentioned a sim card, I was thinking they had an M1, not Mk1, Google search let me down.🤣

Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router - MR1100 | NETGEAR

Ripshod

I've now got a feeling in my gut that it may indeed turn out to be an M1, but why would anyone want to use one as an AP.

You've got me doubting myself now 🤔

OK, being 73 I can get a bit confused! I think it is an M1 nighthawk. But should that make any difference?

Thanks for all the help guys. 

Jayach

I have no idea just what capabilities an M1 might have, never having used one.

It's more than possible it may be able to replace the. Vodafone router completely. (once you have your PPPoE credentials)

Obviously it's intended as a mobile router, but that doesn't mean it can't work as a standard router, just as a standard router can use mobile as backup.

The only thing that worries me is, are you sure your problems are Wi-Fi; rather than line connection problems. as the THG3000 is not (in my experience) particularly poor at Wi-Fi. (unless yours is faulty)

Are you new to the property, or did you have a previous supplier without problems?