My download speeds are slower than my upload speeds

connecting to vodafone london

Ping   28ms        

todays speed test Down 18.5 Mbps             Jitter     

Upload   75.52 Mbps         2.54ms

Yesterdays 15/05/2020            Ping 28ms

Down 18.04  Mbps             Jitter 

Upload   98.9   Mbps             2.84ms

using my own router Netgear nighthawk D8500 connection has been stable vdsl link 39days also no matter how many times I reboot the router it always syncs at the same speed  with no variation so it would seem that my connection is being capped by DLM can I have the DLM reset

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way those upload speeds should even be possible is if you are on FTTP or FTTH and not FTTC (which would mean there is no DLM).  Those kind of upload speeds are simply not possible on FTTC - VDSL.

Just exactly what app/site are you using to get those figures?

Using ookla to do speed tests

Just did one on think broadband

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1589664703708678855.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

The upload speeds on the think broadband post are more in line with what would be expected relative to the download speeds (17.6:2.2)!

So it's probably worth knowing what the sync speed reported by the router is.  That connection speed graph that you posted does not look too healthy, but that can be caused by there being others accessing the router or even performing the test over WiFi.  So when using the speedtest sites ideally you need to be connecting to the router using an ethernet cable and make sure you are the only user.  When you so that, both download and upload traces should jump to full speed pretty sharpish and then stay there the flatter the better.

*WiFi issues are as often down to the WiFi adapters in devices as they are to the router.  So those results could be down to WiFi issues, or it could be that the connection somewhere between the cabinet and Vodafone is oversubscribed.

I am using ethernet cable as  I don't use wifi to perform speedtests

DSL Link                               Downstream                  Upstream
Connection Speed                  32397 kbps              10424 kbps
Line Attenuation                    21.6 db                      32.1 db
Noise Margin                           6.9 db                       6.0 db

I used have a better connection than this  and have been getting money off since almost  the day I joined vodafone and they have done nothing to fix it in 12 months cant wait to get away from them.

Also as per my first post the connection is obviously capped as I can reboot the the router and it will  re-sync at exactly the same speed and snr

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, based on what you've posted it's possible to start theorizing on what exactly is going wrong here.  And it has the markings of oversubscription on the link somewhere between the cabinet and the Vodafone datacentre!

What points to this?

That the data rates are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the sync(symbol) rate between your modem and the cabinet.  That data rates start high and then fall off, likely to the effects of saturation causing equipment to "store and forward" packets more often than acceptable (this also causes the saw edge like effect on your upload).  Store and forward is potentially also responsible for the higher than expected latency you are seeing in the speed tests.

What can you do?  Complain about suspected oversubscription in your area using the info that you have to hand.  You may find that Vodafone already have things in the pipeline to sort it out.  Based on the profile that you've presented if you are looking to change suppliers penalty-free, provided you go through the complaints process you could probably do that.

*We have our own issues here, but in our situation, they are currently in the hands of OpenReach and affect the entire estate no-matter who has sold the broadband.  We are on the list for FTTP in the near future from CityFibre/Vodafone!