Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone are heavily throttling uploads to Google Services

geowars2
2: Seeker

I recently moved from BT Broadband to Vodafone, and have immediately noticed that uploads to YouTube and Google Drive are ten times slower. The upload is being capped by Vodafone to certain online services and I have been able to confirm this by uploading the same video at the same time on a friends internet connection using BT.

All my speed tests are at full speed (so >100Meg upload), and uploads to other online cloud services like OneDrive are unaffected by this issue.

When I say ten times slower, I mean literally. My videos upload at 12MegaByte or over 100Megabit on BT. On Vodafone they *consistently* upload at just over 1MegaByte or 10Megabit.

At this point, I am probably going to cancel in my cooling off period and switch to EE. 

If this isn't just the result of a temporary technical issue on Vodafone's side then this is a massively problematic and sneaky practice. it be possible for anyone else to confirm they are having the same issue as this will help us to understand the extent of this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

geowars2

I will also add that using a VPN, also results in an uncapped upload speed. In my case, reaching up to 90meg, or up to 9 times faster. It is still slower, because it's through a VPN.

I believe this confirms that Vodafone are significantly throttling upload speeds and in effect my upload speed for practical use is ten times slower than I had with BT, or would have with EE.

This is a shambles because leaving Vodafone in the cooling-off period could leave me without internet for two weeks whilst I wait for a new service to be activated.

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@geowars2 It's more like VF have a problem with load balancing and routing.

Lucy_F

Hi @geowars2 sorry to hear you're facing some trouble with your service. Broadband troubleshooting can be actioned here or via our dedicated broadband app. Other features can also be navigated via the app. To discuss this problem further, please contact our Broadband Support Team via 03333040191 or via Live Chat here