Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

help with new hub and tp link mesh routers please

loopyjax2022
2: Seeker

We previously had an old Vodafone hub - barely any ports on the back and it was rubbish as the signal didn't reach all areas of our home. It's all very vague in my memory but at the time I obtained my user ID and password from Vodafone, and bought a netgear one to replace it - which we then used as just a modem by turning the wifi off, and used the TP link M9+ mesh routers dotted around our home instead and it's worked well ever since.  We have just renewed our Vodafone contract, they have sent a new snazzy hub which has more ports on the back of it, with a different SSID and password obviously, with the instruction that our home phones will no longer work when they switch us over and that we must connect our phone cable to the new hub.  We have a smart home, so much stuff connects to it that I also have an "ethernet switch" box with 8 ports in it.  So what should I do - will my user ID and password still be the same for this hub - I can't remember if it is user/account specific or device specific? What's the easiest way to set this up - as I'm assuming we can't use our netgear one to make our home phones work? (not switched over so I can't just shove the cable in and see just yet).  If we have to use the new hub - can someone please explain what I am meant to do as I just followed someones kind online instructions last time, and can I just rename the SSID/password on the new hub to match our old SSID/password so that all gadgets seamlessly connect? Once it's set up can I just turn off the wifi on the top of the hub so it just acts as a modem whilst we use our mesh for the wifi?

thanks for anyone who can help me!

3 REPLIES 3

loopyjax2022

Just to add, I have no memory whatsoever as to what I did with the user ID and password once I obtained them - I do have those written down but just not a clue what to do with them, and that's assuming they are account specific and not device specific!!

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Before we can make any suggestions, we need to understand exactly where you are now.

Are you on FTTC, and have just renewed, or have you upgraded to FTTP?

If you are still on FTTC, I would have thought nothing should have changed, but if your system stops working then you will probably need a new username and password. (PPPoE details)

It seems, from a post on here, that Vodafone are now using digital voice on FTTC services, not just FTTP ones.

If so, that has only just started happening, so we have very little experience with it.

It looks like you may be one of the first users to be switched to digital voice on FTTC (not a good position to be in) so until it kicks in, it is not something I can advise on.

Hopefully someone else can offer more definitive suggestions.

Jayach

Have just noticed you also posted in the "Other broadband queries" section.

Reviewing your posts, I can't see why you need the Netgear at all.

Just replace the NetGear with the Vodafone Hub, turn the Wi-Fi off in the Vodafone hub (presumably the THG3000) and use the M9's in AP mode to provide the Wi-Fi. Job done. You can connect your phones to the Vodafone hub if you still require them.

Apologies if I've missed anything. but that seems the easiest thing to do.