cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full Fibre Speed below contractual spec - Configuration issue?

Plaxinator
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
A few days ago I had full fibre 500Mb installed. However I'm getting less than 100Mb (usually get between 90-92Mb). I've contacted Vodafone through the web chat three times now and they keep fobbing me off saying things like there's a settling in period and I'll get full speed by midnight etc. I thought full fibre (with the ONT modem) was fibre to the property therefore there should be no settling in period (unlike fibre to the cabinet). I should be getting the full whack straight off (and certainly no less than the guaranteed 250Mb speed). 

I've tried resetting both ONT & router (including factory reset of router) and 3 different ethernet cables (the provided Cat 5e and a Cat 6 & Cat 6e).
On my router under Fibre Status it says:
MaxBitRate: 100 Mbps
DuplexMode: Full
There is no way for me to change this to try and force a change to 1Gbps.

The fact that the connection is stable but not up to contractual spec would suggest it isn't a dodgy connection but a configuration issue. I presume the ONT has been set to auto negotiate and has settled on 100Mb. 

Is there anyway this can be looked into by Vodafone? 

14 REPLIES 14

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Plaxinator wrote:
Is there anyway this can be looked into by Vodafone? 

Only by you contacting them. Use live chat or call 08080 034 515.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

You are correct, there is no settling in period for Full Fibre, don't let them tell you different.

I've contacted them 3 times via the online chat to no avail. I'll try calling them next week and see if I can actually talk to someone that isn't as useless as a chocolate tea pot.

Then I'm probably going to throw my toys out the pram and cancel my contract.

Ripshod

Mmmm. 100Mb on the normally 1Gb WAN can point to a faulty network cable or port - even with 38Mb Internet the connection between the ONT and WAN would still be 1Gb. But you've tested with another cable right? So it has to be a faulty port.

Can you access another router to test with. Or......... What happens if you connect a pc straight to the ONT and connect using pppoe?

The vodafone support on chat or the social team can see the connection speed, it's clearly there in the router's status page for them to see.

When you get through to them try and steer them toward this thread. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

Mmmm. 100Mb on the normally 1Gb WAN can point to a faulty network cable or port - even with 38Mb Internet the connection between the ONT and WAN would still be 1Gb. B

I'm not on FTTP, I assumed for the slower speeds they configured the ONT to connect at the lower rate.

At what point do they enforce the restriction?

Ripshod

The speed is negotiated between the router and source (vodafone/exchange (awaiting correction)). This does not affect the physical ont/wan connection. 

I have got another router that I could try but thought I needed the DSL username and password for that, which I’ve not got.

I’ve put laptop straight into the ont but didn’t work, can’t remember what it said now but think it was something to do with not having a valid IP configuration. I suppose I could try and use google’s DNS settings and try again in the morning. 

Ripshod

You won't get a connection without your PPPoE details, which are freely available - chat is your best option

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

Right, so I got my PPPoE details and set up my own router. Get full speed on that. So it's not the ONT autoconfiguring to 100Mbps like I initially thought, but definitely some configuration issue or defect with the Vodafone router (it's the THG3000 I have). 

I used the chat again and they put me through to the wi-fi Xperts (I have the pro package). They couldn't fix the issue, but at least could see it was stuck at 100Mbps. They've created a ticket with a 3rd party engineer so will see what the outcome is with them.

In the interim I've just gone back to using my own router (Netgear Nighhawk R700). Unfortunately this means that I no longer have my VOIP landine. Not currently a huge issue until I have to have a telephone consultation with the hospital who always call me on my landline. 

Is there anyway I could use some kind of voip phone adapter box to use my VOIP phone on my own router? I was thinking of something like this, but not convinced it will work if Vodafone does something to tie landline to their router software: 2-Port VoIP Phone Adapter, VoIP Gateway Internet 2 Port Analog Telephone Adapter VoIP Phone & Device...

Ripshod

We've done the legwork on this.

Some of us have successfully got the phone to work on a couple of grandstream devices. I'm not familiar with the device you linked. 

The prime requirement though is prising the login and server details out of vodafone's tight hands.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/td-p/2709457#M1354ht...