cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet disconnections and occasionally slow speeds.

Iroha
3: Seeker

Been on Vodafone for about 4 years now and throughout the plan haven't noticed a slow down. However, I am getting constant disconnects or the speed will be slower than usual (Should be 63+mbps not -30mbps). When someone calls, the internet drops and the call has a lot of crackling in it. This was the same issue I had with Plusnet before moving to vodafone. I got this fixed through calling plusnet which got an openreach engineer over to fix it (was a lengthy process). They said there was corroded wires on the pole.
I've tried troubleshooting it. I.e. changing microfilters, restarting router etc... but to no avail.
All I know is that there are 4 copper wires coming into my house, assuming it means 2 lanes for phone and internet, which gets seperated via microfilter. On the telephone pole connected to my house there is 2 yellow and blue wires just dangling down from the pole, which made me think is this mine? Is this why my internet disconnects when someone calls? I don't know if I am talking a lot of waffle, so I wanted you peoples opinions and who to call to get this fixed.

7 REPLIES 7

Iroha

Here's the status of the router. We don't turn off the router at all fyi.

firmware - 19.4.0551-3261103

Iroha_0-1684358411907.pngIroha_1-1684358426890.pngIroha_2-1684358468191.png

Iroha_3-1684358486708.png

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Iroha Images are not moderated yet. From what you described it sounds like a line fault. Contact Vodafone and get them to test the line.

Jayach

The pictures haven't been moderated, but only 2 of the incoming wires are used. Sounds like a faulty filter.

Ripshod

Openreach generally use the orange/white pair unless there's a fault on the cable. 

CrimsonLiar

The line quality stats look quite reasonable, though we don't know how long a period those 7 cuts have taken place over.  But that image suggests you should still be getting the 60+ Mbps that you say you used to get.  I would be checking that if you are connecting to the router using WiFi that you are on the 5GHz band!

There will be times when it will reach it 60+ but sometimes it will go down to 10mbps throughout the day. When this 10mbps happens a lot of internet disconnections also happen. 

nishaleon

Based on your description, it seems like there may be a potential issue with the wiring or connections affecting both your internet and telephone service. Given your previous experience with corroded wires, it's worth reaching out to Vodafone's customer support and explaining the situation. Requesting a technician visit from Openreach, who handles the infrastructure, might be necessary to investigate and fix the problem.