Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Oversubscribed - Don't bother with broadband

quinch1199
4: Newbie

Let me first say that I was HOPING to give you a full resolution in this post but, as it stands, after being on hold...from a CALL BACK for 45min... I can't give you the end result. I'm still on hold by the way via Vodafone technical to customer resolution team..

History and proposed resolution (to which I'm still waiting for acceptance):

For several months on Superfast 2 now and having been a Vodafone BB customer for many years I've only more recently experienced issues. Responses from Vodafone technical have varied from the stilly to the sensible. Most recent, and silly, response was my router was faulty and they sent me a new one out. 

Bottom line, as confirmed at least twice by Vodafone technical AND OpenReach is...OVERSUBSCRIBED lines. Peak delivery rates are bottlenecked to an extraordinary level. I'm getting 58-60mbps download off-peak, and Peak delivery varies from 2mbps to....zero, literally the line drops and reconnects itself. 

Yes...TWO mbps. This starts kicking in from 15:00 each day (or pretty permanantly all weekend) and I can watch my speeds degrade over the hours from 15:00 - 23:00 (screen shot evidence available).

- NOTE TO MODERATORS - do not provide platitudes, excuses or suggest something else might be the cause. I use CAT6 wired connections in my house, unfortunately my cable connections with Vodafone are not "cable to house" but "cable to exchange". Exchange box is some 200m away but there must be serveral hundred properties feeding from it. Simply put your sales are seriously overselling your service provision.

This is NOT Vodafones fault (other than overzealous sales team!) but with a failing, old network which requires years and years of countless permissions from local authorities AND OpenReach to upgrade.

However, this does nothing to help Vodafone end users. In the end my proposal (now been on hold 57mins by the way) is to CANCEL Vodafone broadband now if you can (and I will be doing so) and push Vodafone to provide 4G routers in high demand areas instead of wired connections. The 4G routers will use Unlimited plans to at least provide connection speeds of 16-20mbps download speeds. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good stuff - that's the best resolution you can hope for. I've been struggling to get anywhere for four weeks with the same issue - less than 5mb every night.

I've been through the customer services circle of hell about 20 times - if you're having this issue, forget live chat or the Egyptian call centre.

Last night, I finally got them to admit it's contention - their terminology been a red cable link status. They've asked for 48 hours to resolve, but I'm sure that I'll not see an improvement, nor will I hear from them again.

Retentions are still trying to hold me in contract, so I'm probably looking at about 8 weeks of naff broadband before I can leave with a hefty compensation payment via the ombudsman. 

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

First thing to note, after BT was "sold" in the 80's telecomms and now internet were split out to other private companies, however, the core infastructure (cables and boxes) were moved to a "new" company called OpenReach. Basically, still BT... Also note that LOTS of this infastructure has not been upgraded since the 70's.

The issue is two fold. 1) Really old equipment & 2) BT still basically calling all the shots. 

BT, O2 & PlusNet are all subsiduaries of/owned by, the same company. Their customers get priority for service and custmer support. All other companies, except Virgin who use a completely different set up (and I think Sky also) get their traffic choked at times of high volume as they're essentially NOT customers of BT. 

Internet firms can change the data streams at will to mitigate this a bit or allow access to popular websites who pay them for the privilage (this was one of the arguments against deregulation in the USA recently). However, they're only allowed so much bandwidth, BT and their companies will always get first choice and preferential treatment. 

This will persist until the whole network is updated, unfortunately, digging up roads to do this brings its own "red tape" issues, with getting council permissions, closing roads and THEN also getting OpenReach (one of BT's own companies) to actually do the work for them! 

Its unfortunate that companies like Vodafone are caught between a rock and a hard place but some honesty about it would be helpful.

Well it sucks but I guess I'll move to BT then! Thanks for the info! 

richardc1983
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Having the exact same issues been with them 4 weeks, tech support are useless what a con! Claim that my sync speed is fine so they blame my devices!

Knowingly over selling oversubscribed kit! Was with plusnet 15 years but wanted to bring all home broadband in line with my mobile contract so all together and now suffering!