Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sync speed dropping

Bob-1
4: Newbie

My sync speed as dropped over a couple of months, it was up past the 70's but now it dropped and stopped at 49, i was getting downloads at 69 but at the best its now is 45, in my joining  letter it said my minimum would be 51.

I have noticed that it randomly reconnects which i never got with my previous isp.

Is it worth contacting vodafone?

34 REPLIES 34

Screenshot_2022-08-12_07-28-42.png

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I notice the SNR is varying a bit. If each time you check it is different it could be indicative of an unstable line.

0.3 dB is not a lot, but if it varies by much more than that it may mean DLM is keeping it high to keep the line stable.

Have you tried it in the test socket? Do you have any extensions?

@Bob-1 wrote:

The guaranteed download was 46 and not 51, i did miss read that 51 was the expected speed, although on a speed test its always just under.

Unfortunately Vodafone, like most ISP's, use the sync figure so unless that drops below the guaranteed speed they are unlikely to do much.

It would be nice if you could get them to pass it to Openreach, but good luck with that.

It looks like I'm wasting my time, i just keep being asked the same stuff over and over again.

I do keep getting emails saying i can upgrade to full fibre, i will just have to wait to move to another isp, never had these problems with talktalk.

Ripshod

I moved from talktalk to Vodafone on the old copper and I saw exactly what you're seeing now. Talktalk was fine and rapid, Vodafone just got slower and slower.

Different ISPs have different ideas what a good vdsl connection looks like. Companies like Talktalk target higher speeds and deal with all the errors, whereas vodafone target low errors hence the lower speeds. I don't understand why we can't specify our own desires and get the service we want.

Jayach

@Bob-1 wrote:

I do keep getting emails saying i can upgrade to full fibre, i will just have to wait to move to another isp, never had these problems with talktalk.

Who are the emails from? You should be able to upgrade with Vodafone without waiting for your contract to end, however they really don't seem to have got their act together with Openreach.

The fact your SNR is high (and therefore your sync speed low) is nothing to do with Vodafone, it is an Openreach problem (or possibly something at your end). It just needs Vodafone to pass them the call, which they won't do whilst you are getting more than your guaranteed sync.

Have you checked if FTTP is available to you with Vodafone. Check what they will offer you here: Best Broadband Deals | Home Broadband | Vodafone

Ripshod

But openreach do apply the ISP's chosen profile. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

But openreach do apply the ISP's chosen profile. 

I don't know about that, but if so, how do you explain the difference between my DSL stats and @Bob-1's. (see earlier posts) 

Personally I would go for stability over a few extra Mbs. (although gamers and their desire for ever lower latency may disagree)

Ripshod

There was a pretty heavy thread on TBB I found while I was having these problems (also the reason I upgraded to FTTP).

I'll take a look around later and get a link. I believe one member went back to talktalk and got their full speed back on the same copper with the same router.

My experience at the time was coming from a 2yr TT contract with 69999 d/l sync to a vf service that struggled to get 39999 sync and a real world speed around 32Mbit. My minimum quoted speed was 38Mbit so Vodafone would do nothing to help.

If I'd known anything about this much earlier I'd have been happy with the low speed instead of all the retransmits too. 

Jayach

Obviously I can't explain your and the other TBB poster experiences, but I can't believe that Openreach would use such different profiles on the same line that it could cause such discrepancies between ISP's.

BT/Openreach have a checker so you can see what they believe your line is capable of. Irrespective of ISP, that is what I would expect. (barring actual faults)

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Just tried that checker 76.2 high 55 low hand back 49