Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Adapter to allow 'BT Big Button 200 phone - corded' to work with DSL

littlebloke
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I've just moved my mum to Vodaphone.
The phone line is now plugged in through the router using a DSL cable provided by Vodaphone. 
Her preferred phone, an old 'BT Big Button 200' does not ring and there is no dial tone. 
Connecting a newer powered panasonic wireless works without issue. 

The problem that I have is that my mum loves her old 'BT Big Button 200' and wants to continue using it, as it also helps with her hearing. 

I've seen on other posts that it is possible to get these older phones working using adapters?

Can someone verify what adapter I need, where it can be purchased and how it needs to all be connected?

From the other posts I see a lot of people mentioning taking things apart, re-soldering and such, I can't do this. I just need to be sure i'm going to get something that will work and connect it properly. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I recommend this adapter

Amazon link - rhinocables RJ11 to BT Adapter Plug, Single UK Telephone Jack to RJ11 Socket with Tail...

This would plug into the tel1 or tel2 port, with the phone's original bt lead into the adapter. This provides the "bell" capacitor so the phone should ring.

The lack of a dial tone may be something else though. 

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod

I recommend this adapter

Amazon link - rhinocables RJ11 to BT Adapter Plug, Single UK Telephone Jack to RJ11 Socket with Tail...

This would plug into the tel1 or tel2 port, with the phone's original bt lead into the adapter. This provides the "bell" capacitor so the phone should ring.

The lack of a dial tone may be something else though. 

You are a diamond, my mum will be sure to give you a "nice cup of tea"!
It's actually what I'd been looking at, but now I know and most importantly now I know where to plug it in, i'm way more comfortable. Thank you. 

Jayach

The problem with using a DSL cable (apart from the fact it doesn't have a ring capacitor) is that some phones use a different pair of connections at the phone end, so they need to use their original BT type cable.

Vodafone should supply the necessary adapter, I don't understand why they don't do it automatically. They should send you one if you ask, but it may be difficult to get them to understand just what you want.

@Ripshod's link doesn't work for me, so here it is again:

rhinocables RJ11 to BT Adapter Plug, Single UK Telephone Jack to RJ11 Socket with Tail Lead Converte...

Do let us know how you get on.

Jayach

If you do try to get one from Vodafone, they call it a VoIP adapter. They haven't updated their help pages for the latest Power Hub, but here is what they show for the earlier THG3000.

Jayach_0-1703864415497.png