Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phantom calls being made from landline without me having a phone

SodaphoneUser88
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hoping someone can direct me to the right place

My bill starting 22 of April has started to show calls my landline is making - some to a talking clock and some to various local lines 123111 and similar numbers

I have spoken to the support chat and they have credited the talking clock charges as they agree this isn't me but the other calls at similar times and only to local numbers they are insisting are me even though I don't have use or even own a landline phone

I have tried escalating to a manager but they are saying the same thing - talking clock can be credited but all the local calls are to be charged. £25 worth this month so far!

13 REPLIES 13

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@SodaphoneUser88  You may have a dry joint or crack in the wire. Can you get a line test? Also are there any errors on the router status page?

Hiya there is a Openreach engineer booked to attend in the next 3 days - just had something back from Vodaphone - fingers crossed it is something they can see on the line

How would I go about checking the router status page?

i'd login to my routers address on my pc?

thanks

@SodaphoneUser88  Just connect to the router using a browser on the PC. If you haven't changed any of the logon details they should be on a sticker on the back/base of the router. From memory (I'm not using the Vodafone router), I think you will have to select "advanced" view from the top of the screen. Then it's fairly simple to find. 

Brill will take a look when I get home, thanks for the help

aprilharris20
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there - did you get a resolution to this or find out how it happened? I’ve had exactly the same thing happen, £50 worth of calls and I don’t even own a landline handset. The calls are talking clock, 118 numbers and local numbers and only ever last 2-3 seconds! Vodafone are saying there has been no fraud on the account and the line hasn’t been tampered/tapped. So how have the calls been made?! 

Hey @aprilharris20 I hope you're doing well. I can absolutely appreciate the concern this will be causing. It does sound like it may be a crossed line issue with you not using the landline. We're unfortunately unable to run any kind of tests or checks on the Forum though so you would need to reach out to the Broadband team again on 0333 304 0191 or via LiveChat so this can be fully checked out and put right. 

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Yes @aprilharris20 this is Openreach causing chaos calling the speaking clock as a test call causing a charge to the subscriber when they should use a designated test number and it's not just Vodafone where this happens.  Surprised Openreach are still calling the speaking clock to test a line wouldn't have thought there would be any need for the speaking clock now. If you use Google there is plenty of information on Openreach calling the speaking clock and short numbers being billed as local calls to test a line.

The best thing to do would be to contact Vodafone they should remove all the charges.

Cynric

@AnnS  It's not just BT providing a Speaking Clock service. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_clock

AnnS

Yes @Cynric , reading your link, the speaking clock has been giving a time signal since 1933. Came across this from Ofcom.