Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP & Vodafone Hub

Andyt001
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the answer in the forum. I have gone from FTTC (EE) to FTTP (Vodafone) They tell me I need a BT to Rj11 converter to plug my BT7600 Phone system into the Hub for the VOIP to work. I have ported my old analogue number form EE to Vodafone.

My first question is will this work?

Secondly I have my box for my gate intercom/release connected to the old analogue line, do I just need to use a BT to Rj11 converter then connect it into the router?

The next thing I'd be grateful to know is I have configured my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as the router and going to use the Vodafone Hub as a access point as I need it connected for the Booster/Alexa they supplied to work. I have disabled it as a DHCP server but would like to know would the VOIP work plugged into the Vodaphone Hub configured as an access point?

Any help would be much apprecited.

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

To try and answer your questions.

To connect your BT system to the THG3000 you will need an RJ11 to BT adapter. This one is recommended:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhinocables®-Socket-Telephone-Adaptor-White/dp/B00EVS5UZ2/, but some people manage to jut use an RJ11-RJ11 cable.

As for the box for the gate intercom/release system, I have no idea if that will work with Vodafone's VOIP implementation.

As for using the THG3000 as an access point. once again I have no idea, but the Nighthawk will probably be better than the Vodafone, even with it's "boosters" and I have not been able to ascertain if anyone has managed to get the Hub to provide VoIP behind another router. (which probably means it won't work)

If you do find you can get it to work, please let us know so we can better advise others who wish to use their own routers on FTTP.

daryljmullen
4: Newbie

Have you got it working ie the landline with your own router.

I’m getting FTTP in March and want to use my own ASUS AX router and mesh system and am wondering whether the landline will work either plugged into the OTP box or into the Vodafone router in bridge mode and the ASUS after that

There is no phone port on the ONT/(G)PON box, the Vodafone router cannot be put into bridge mode, and Vodafone is not prepared to give out the Voip settings!

Not tried it yet as I have had enough issues with the Vodafone's Alexa and the Boosters they supply for their Mesh system. You can use your own Router but will need to get your username and password from Vodafone. Then you have the issue of needing to plug the phone into the Vodafone router to use the Landline. (depending on what phone plug you have you may need to buy an adapter) I've not tried disabling the Vodafone router DHCP and using my own router and the Vodafone router as an access point with the phone plugged into it yet but Vodafone say it wont work as the Vodafone router needs to be plugged into the ONT. 

I have tried using the THG3000 as an AP and using the RG11 to BT socket they now supply the landline didn’t work as no light for Phone showing when used as an AP. Plus I could get the Alexa or Extender to connect via WiFI but looks like it works on cabled backhaul.

Jayach

@harryp18 wrote:

I have tried using the THG3000 as an AP and using the RG11 to BT socket they now supply the landline didn’t work as no light for Phone showing when used as an AP.

I don't understand.

Are you on FTTP and trying to use the THG3000 as a ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) on your own modem?

Yes on FTTP but not using THG3000 as it’s rubbish..  

Jayach

But are you trying to use the rubbish THG3000 as an ATA?

As far as I know no one had managed it yet. 

Yes I basically switched off DHCP, allocated a static IP in range on the THG3000, switched on WiFI. So the THG3000 is good as an AP..  I was seeing if the Tel1 or Tel2 ports would still be active as VoIP ports..  

The answer is no, but I was seeing if anyone had found a way round it..